Toilet issue

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

house92

Reaction score
My toilet is about two years old. In the past few weeks, I notice a quick hissing sound in the flush tank at times. Apparently, the fill-up is triggered and it is putting water back in the tank. The water level in the flush tank is not low at all when this happens. Any ideas what is going on and how to fix it?

Try putting some food coloring in the tank and wait an hour or so. If the water in the bowl turned color without flushing your flapper is bad. It could be a bad Fluidmaster, cheap and easy to replace DIY. But I'd start with the flapper. Run your finger around it and the flapper seat and make sure both are clean. The flapper should be flexible.

If you've used things like 2000 Flushes in the tank the bleach in it can wear out the rubber parts prematurely.

Try putting some food coloring in the tank and wait an hour or so. If the water in the bowl turned color without flushing your flapper is bad. It could be a bad Fluidmaster, cheap and easy to replace DIY. But I'd start with the flapper. Run your finger around it and the flapper seat and make sure both are clean. The flapper should be flexible.

If you've used things like 2000 Flushes in the tank the bleach in it can wear out the rubber parts prematurely.

Thanks. I tried the coloring, and turns out it was the flapper. The toilet is an American Standard, and after doing a little research once I discovered the issue, I could replace a gasket instead of the entire flapper. It turns out that my barand of toilet has an issue with the gasket, and it has to be replace every two years or so. The research showed that the gaskets form bubbles over time which allows some water to leak out. When I checked mine, sure enough, there was a bubble. It seems to me that they should improve the gasket since that is a known problem.

Thanks for the follow up. Even flap valves don't last that long. The newer silicone ones last longer but it isn't unusual for them to wear out in a couple years, especially if you use in tank chemicals to keep your toilet clean. Not sure they even sell 2000 Flushes anymore but that product was really hard on rubber tank parts. The blue and green tablets were really good at causing lazy flush because they became viscus in the tank, especially on seldom used toilets like guest bathrooms in empty nester's homes. I don't use any of them, but I make sure to use our hall bath every couple of days since the kids have grown up and moved out, just to cycle the water.

Back