Toilet tank won't fill

Help Support House Repair Talk:

Givemeasec

Reaction score
My toilet's tank drains before it can fill with anything but a trivial amount of water. It'll fill when I press on the flapper but as soon as I release it drains again. I cleaned the seal at the bottom of the tank and replaced the flapper with a brand new one but the problem persists. Is there something else I can do?

Jeff Handy

Reaction score
Post pics of the tank guts, and of the writing molded or printed on inside back of tank.
Also brand of toilet, there is often a brand printed right by the toilet seat hinge.

Flapper might be wrong type, there are at least a dozen different types, shapes, sizes.
Chain might be too short.
Chain might be on wrong hole of flush lever.

Flush valve might also be leaking at the rubber seal against the bottom of the tank.

Givemeasec

Reaction score
Post pics of the tank guts, and of the writing molded or printed on inside back of tank.
Also brand of toilet, there is often a brand printed right by the toilet seat hinge.

Flapper might be wrong type, there are at least a dozen different types, shapes, sizes.
Chain might be too short.
Chain might be on wrong hole of flush lever.

Flush valve might also be leaking at the rubber seal against the bottom of the tank.
Will take pictures when I get home from work.

There was slack in the chain. The problem only started a few days ago. Prior to that, with the same chain in the same position it worked fine.

If the leak is from the flush valve would the tank still be able to fill when I press down on the flapper?

Jeff Handy

Reaction score
The flush valve is what the flapper rests on, when it drops after a flush.

So it is most likely a problem with the flapper not sealing properly against the big opening in the flush valve.

But it could also be a defect in the rubber seal under the flush valve, where it penetrates the bottom of the tank.

When you push on the flapper, you can also temporarily improve this seal, if it is failing.

Still most likely just a flapper issue.

zannej

Reaction score
Is it possible the fill valve is the type that shuts off and won't fill when it detects a leak? I had that problem with mine sensing some sort of leak & it wouldn't fill and I'd have to go tug on things and mess around with things to make it work. There might be something interfering with the flapper sitting flush though. I've had that problem as well.

Givemeasec

Reaction score
The flush valve is what the flapper rests on, when it drops after a flush.

So it is most likely a problem with the flapper not sealing properly against the big opening in the flush valve.

But it could also be a defect in the rubber seal under the flush valve, where it penetrates the bottom of the tank.

When you push on the flapper, you can also temporarily improve this seal, if it is failing.

Still most likely just a flapper issue.
Okay, thanks. I'll get another flapper and see what happens.

zannej

Reaction score
Jeff is correct. You need to find out what model your toilet is and look for flappers that say they are compatible with that model.

Latest posts