Toilet tank won't fill

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Givemeasec

Reaction score
My toilet's tank drains before it can fill with anything but a trivial amount of water. It'll fill when I press on the flapper but as soon as I release it drains again. I cleaned the seal at the bottom of the tank and replaced the flapper with a brand new one but the problem persists. Is there something else I can do?

Post pics of the tank guts, and of the writing molded or printed on inside back of tank.
Also brand of toilet, there is often a brand printed right by the toilet seat hinge.

Flapper might be wrong type, there are at least a dozen different types, shapes, sizes.
Chain might be too short.
Chain might be on wrong hole of flush lever.

Flush valve might also be leaking at the rubber seal against the bottom of the tank.

Post pics of the tank guts, and of the writing molded or printed on inside back of tank.
Also brand of toilet, there is often a brand printed right by the toilet seat hinge.

Flapper might be wrong type, there are at least a dozen different types, shapes, sizes.
Chain might be too short.
Chain might be on wrong hole of flush lever.

Flush valve might also be leaking at the rubber seal against the bottom of the tank.

Will take pictures when I get home from work.

There was slack in the chain. The problem only started a few days ago. Prior to that, with the same chain in the same position it worked fine.

If the leak is from the flush valve would the tank still be able to fill when I press down on the flapper?

The flush valve is what the flapper rests on, when it drops after a flush.

So it is most likely a problem with the flapper not sealing properly against the big opening in the flush valve.

But it could also be a defect in the rubber seal under the flush valve, where it penetrates the bottom of the tank.

When you push on the flapper, you can also temporarily improve this seal, if it is failing.

Still most likely just a flapper issue.

Is it possible the fill valve is the type that shuts off and won't fill when it detects a leak? I had that problem with mine sensing some sort of leak & it wouldn't fill and I'd have to go tug on things and mess around with things to make it work. There might be something interfering with the flapper sitting flush though. I've had that problem as well.

The flush valve is what the flapper rests on, when it drops after a flush.

So it is most likely a problem with the flapper not sealing properly against the big opening in the flush valve.

But it could also be a defect in the rubber seal under the flush valve, where it penetrates the bottom of the tank.

When you push on the flapper, you can also temporarily improve this seal, if it is failing.

Still most likely just a flapper issue.

Okay, thanks. I'll get another flapper and see what happens.

Jeff is correct. You need to find out what model your toilet is and look for flappers that say they are compatible with that model.

I have similar problem:
My toilet is a 20 years old two pieces branded “Confidente”. Recently I found it’s tank keeps leaking water in to the bowl quick. I bought a new $6- universal flapper and installed, filled tank water full and marked with pencil at the water level, shut off water inlet. After few hours, the tank water emptied to level with the flush drain hole. I bought another new for $11- universal flapper for it, but still the same result. So I think may be the weight of the flapper is not heavy enough. Then I added a screw nut glued on top of the flapper (see photo), and water still leaking but far slower. But if I put too much weight, it won’t flush. (the two universal flappers I bought are the same measurement with the original one).

Any one has any suggestion to solve this problem beside to replace the whole flush unit?

Attachments

• Toilet Flapper.jpg
    Toilet Flapper.jpg
    34.8 KB · Views: 7
Did you run your finger under the flapper to make sure there is no crud under it?

I had used clean cloth to wipe clean the flush hole and surrounding, and also the flapper. They are clean.

Is your black hose in the fill valve siphoning water from the tank?

I cannot see a black hose. Attached photo on the inside of the toilet.

Attachments

• Toilet insdie.jpg
    Toilet insdie.jpg
    48.5 KB · Views: 11
Hi havasu, I understand what do you mean by black hose. Mine is white color, and its end just sit on top of over-flow drain tube. I also (just) found that there has no water coming out from my white tube (your is black tube) as well while filling tank. Something wrong inside the fill valve that won't allow water coming out from that little hose. But this should not be the reason that causes water leaking out from tank in to bowl?

It looks like your white hose is pinched, which might be blocking the water flow which is meant to refill the bowl.
However, This would not cause the tank to drain.
You still might have the wrong flapper, what is the exact information molded into the back of the toilet tank?
This info will help you to Google which specific flapper you need.
If the flapper is not the problem, then you need to replace the whole flush valve, which requires removing the tank from the bowl.
Which can be challenging unless you are good at diy plumbing or mechanical stuff.

I've never had to remove the tank from the bowl to change out the flush valve. They make new fill valves that can be disconnected inside the tank so you don't have to replace the whole unit. My old fill valve wasn't like that so after disconnecting the supply line I removed the nut holding it inside the tank and pulled it out.

A few thoughts on why the flapper might not be seating correctly- how much slack is on the chain? If the chain is pulled too tight when the flapper is down, it could be lifting the flapper ever so slightly (I had this problem before). Another possible culprit could be the rubber washes under the toilet tank bolts inside the tank could be cracked and allowing water out, but it is more likely something with the fill valve and/or flapper. Do you have any sort of cleaners or magnets (to collect iron) inside the tank? My mother put stuff in her toilet tank and when it flushed, the stuff would slide under the flapper and prevent a seal. The magnet deteriorated and somehow clogged the fill valve.

The fill valve might have a clog or debris in it (this happened to mine) so you might need to take it apart to clean it. I disassembled mine and cleaned it completely. There is a piece of plastic in the fill device that has notches and it can collect sediment. I had to take mine out and scrub it. I was able to save myself from replacing the fill valve earlier on by cleaning it thoroughly. There are Youtube videos on how to clean it.
1489146_10152940236185168_7939297116881291513_n.jpg1489146_10152940236190168_7374360513752509069_n.jpg

“I've never had to remove the tank from the bowl to change out the flush valve. They make new fill valves that can be disconnected inside the tank so you don't have to replace the whole unit. My old fill valve wasn't like that so after disconnecting the supply line I removed the nut holding it inside the tank and pulled it out.”

You are confusing the fill valve with the flush valve.

The flush valve is part of the flapper system, it is what the flapper closes against.

Oops. You're right, Jeff. Sinus headache is making it hard to focus. I do think it is more likely a problem with the flapper mechanism itself or the fill valve though. But it remains to be seen.

Hello, thank you for all the kind input. I have tried all different way. ...... and eventually gave up. Now, shopping for a compatible flush kit and to replace the whole thing. Thanks again.

Your toilet looks cheap, I would just get a new better quality toilet.
Have a pro install it, it will last for decades.

Back