Toilet tank won't fill

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you decide to try a new toilet, you might want a Toto Entrada. They are less expensive than other Totos and have a 1,000MaP rating. They flush very well without splashing. They come in comfort/chair height (about 15" high). They are good quality and Toto is pretty good with support.

What usually happens is the rubber flapper shrinks over time (20 - 50 years) and eventually no longer reaches all the way across the big flapper valve hole...

You guys do realize there were two posters with similar problems. The OP may have solved his problem. He didn't come back with pictures or more questions.

Last edited:
Not at all.

Sometimes you need to admit that something is not worth fixing, or wasting money on.
And installing a new toilet can be diy, but they are very heavy, and first timers can have a tough time lining it up so it seals properly.

But you are right about this site being geared towards self repairs, so if the recent poster feels confident about taking his tank off, then likely having to replace the flush valve, tank to bowl gasket, and tank bolts and washers, then he should give it a shot.

Sometimes as a stopgap measure or troubleshooting I will put plumbers grease (or even vaseline) on a seal to see if it will stop a leak. I don't think I would let a flush valve get the best of me w/o a fight. Being a one piece toilet mine was a flush ball into a porcelain hole.

Often there's an explanation. When something suddenly failed I used to ask my wife or son when they reported the occurrence, "what was the last thing you did?" Not for blame but for example what if the last thing done was cleaning the toilet tank with a stiff or wire brush?

Last edited:
Not at all.

Sometimes you need to admit that something is not worth fixing, or wasting money on.
And installing a new toilet can be diy, but they are very heavy, and first timers can have a tough time lining it up so it seals properly.

But you are right about this site being geared towards self repairs, so if the recent poster feels confident about taking his tank off, then likely having to replace the flush valve, tank to bowl gasket, and tank bolts and washers, then he should give it a shot.
I've gotten a new flapper that was also too short... just had to go back and find and get the longer one... the 99c flapper is often too short and too hard of a material to conform and seal well... glad the big box home stores (pre-plandemic) had several brands of flappers to chose from...

The Confidente toilet seems to be a Kohler.

If the recent poster is even still monitoring this thread, please pay attention now.
Kohler flappers are almost always not replaceable with “universal” flappers.

You need the exact Kohler flapper for your toilet.

I would replace the fill valve. I had to do that with a Fluidmaster 400A this week.
The Fluidmaster fills the tank from the bottom of of the tower. The tubing into the overflow is the bowl refill.
(link removed)
And this is how most fill valves work in general.
Korky also makes a good fill valve. Lately, I have been buying the adjustable refill replacements.
In the Korky line, it's the 528MP
This is an old 2 page thread from a year ago...

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah, I removed his link and has been added to my radar. If he thinks he is going to divert our members to his sites, well, it ain't gunna happen and he will be excommunicated shortly!

Yeah, I removed his link and has been added to my radar. If he thinks he is going to divert our members to his sites, well, it ain't gunna happen and he will be excommunicated shortly!
I wondered what's going on with new members replying to old threads.

We in the back try our best to seek out and destroy potential spammers. Not saying he is a spammer, but post timing, content, and IP addresses give us a big clue. Sometimes one or two slip through the cracks. If any of our good, established members sense something strange, just hit the "report" tab with why your spidey senses were triggered. We'll take it from there. Thanks for everyone's help.

Back