Toilet will not fill

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

uziel

Reaction score
I'm having a very strange problem. The toilet continuously runs, but it won't do the 'pour water till the tank fills up.' There's nothing wrong with the flapper, because when I can get it to run properly, it doesn't leak. I don't know how to get the toilet's tank to fill up. I have no idea what's going on, and I need to get this thing fixed before next week. Thankfully there are other toilets int he house but this is still something I need to fix.

The toilet is a Kohler, I don't know the model.

Sounds like Star Trek has violated the laws of physics! Water comes in but does not fill the toilet?? HUH??

Is the small fill tube connected from your fill assembly? If not, the toilet will not "fill." Use the attached picture to reference the parts of your system. Everything should basically match.

Toilet-Tank-Fill-Valve.jpg

That is not the assembly for my toilet It's a different type, I dunno how to describe it.

And yeah I'm pretty baffled as to how it's running but not filling, too. It's not filling much. When I can get it to fill properly it doesn't leak, but...

Is it a dual flush unit like this. Just start taking it apart or replace it.

Ultra-Quiet-Toilet-Dual-Flush-Mechanism-Fill-Valve-3-Dual-Flush-.jpg

That's not it either. I wish I could take pictures of it...

And I can't replace it. I have to get it to work.

Last edited:
So I think I fixed it. Of all the things, it needed water. I guess there's some minimum or something, because once I put water in the back, intending on filling it up, it started right up.

Something in your tank is a float the goes up and down with the level of the water, it could have been stuck in the up position. It needs to go down to open the valve that fills the water.

Back