Tornado Recovery

Discussion in 'General Home Improvement Discussion' started by Gary, Dec 30, 2016.

Help Support House Repair Talk by donating using the link above.
  1. Mar 10, 2018 #101

tuffy

tuffy

tuffy

well-known member Supporting Member

beautiful just beautiful I agree with zannej about the houzz thing.

1 person likes this.
  2. Mar 11, 2018 #102

Gary

Gary

Gary

Thanks Tuffy. I'm still figuring out this new site format. LQQKs like it will be nice once we make a few laps.

1 person likes this.
  3. Mar 11, 2018 #103

adam_howard

adam_howard

adam_howard

Nice pictures.

4. Mar 11, 2018 #104

Gary

Gary

Gary

Thanks Adam. In an effort to organize the garage today, I started building some shelves to store stuff so I can easily get at it without digging through an unorganized pile. Shelves on the end by the door will hold signs I store in inventory for a customer that rotates these in and out of his truck parking lot. I'll have room for lawn chairs and other stuff we use on the bottom, and less needed stuff higher up.

Attached Files:

1 person likes this.
  5. Mar 12, 2018 #105

Gary

Gary

Gary

Garage storage 3.jpg Garage storage copy.jpg Garage storage 4.jpg Got the shelves finished. I had a little plywood left over, so I built shelves to organize the power hand tools. Another project crossed off the to-do list. Nothing fancy, but they do the job.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 14, 2018
    2 people like this.
  6. Mar 13, 2018 #106

tuffy

tuffy

tuffy

Those are some nice looking shelves.

7. Mar 13, 2018 #107

Gary

Gary

Gary

Thanks tuffy. Could have used those years ago, but there's always customer stuff to do first.

8. Mar 14, 2018 #108

zannej

zannej

zannej

Lovely garage, Gary! I really like the shelves.
    On a side note, you know how you got the white rocker switches for your hallway and they stand out? They sell some in brown: https://www.kyleswitchplates.com/decorator-3-way-rocker-switches-lutron-claro-ca-3ps/
    and oil rubbed bronze (pretty expensive though): https://www.kyleswitchplates.com/dark-bronze-stacked-rocker-switch-single-pole-or-3-way/
    There are cheaper options at the bottom of the page I think.
    One at Home Depot https://www.homedepot.com/p/Eaton-S...tch-in-Oil-Rubbed-Bronze-7501RB-K-L/300494509
    They have single, 3-way and 4-way. I don't actually know what that means (maybe they operate multiple lights?), but they have them. LOL.

Editing to add that they sell them in black as well. I'm not sure what color would go with the cover plates.

9. Mar 14, 2018 #109

Gary

Gary

Gary

Thanks zannej. I opted for the white since that's what was originally in the boxes. I may change them someday, but the to-do list will have to get shorter first. ;)

1 person likes this.
  10. Mar 15, 2018 #110

zannej

zannej

zannej

I hear you on that. I have a huge to do list as well.

11. Mar 18, 2018 #111

Gary

Gary

Gary

My plan today was to get the garage and the shop cleaned today. Apparently my goal was a little lofty, I got this 1 wall done. I bought stack of' 2"x4"s to do the job, but once I cleaned out the mess, I had enough lumber from the pile to do the job.

Attached Files:

zannej likes this.
  12. Mar 31, 2018 #112

Gary

Gary

Gary

This morning was a tornado repair job. I still have to replace the door lockset, probably get that done yet this afternoon. I'm going to bend a scrap piece of .080 aluminum to repair the door and install a new lockset. I really don't want to replace the door. Other than a small crack in the door core by the lockset, it's like new. In fact it was just a few months old when the tornado came through. The wall above the door had a couple cracked studs where something attempted to enter. It did the damage and then left the premises, apparently headed for someplace in Kansas. Couple more coats of mud and a little paint and I'll have another project crossed off the to do list.

Attached Files:

zannej likes this.
  13. Mar 31, 2018 #113

zannej

zannej

zannej

Nice job on the internal repair. Looks like some of that siding needs to be replaced, but if you can find some matching siding pieces I hear it shouldn't be too hard. Reminds me I need to retrieve the extra leftover siding from my barn loft and use it to repair the spot where my idiot brother almost melted the siding (warped it) by using the barbecue without pulling it away from the house. We since gave the barbecue away so he can't do it again.
    What kind of lockset are you getting? I've heard schlage is one of the best ones available.

14. Mar 31, 2018 #114

Gary

Gary

Gary

I replaced all the siding. Well, not me personally, I contracted it out. I built the house originally, but that was in the younger days. Decided to let the kids do it. lol.
    We had the same issue with one of the sheds in the back. My son was splitting firewood with the splitter and had the exhaust side facing the building. Luckily that was before the tornado, so that siding is gone now too. Yes, I bought a schlage several months ago. It's been sitting on the shelf waiting for today.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 31, 2018
    zannej likes this.
  15. Mar 31, 2018 #115

Gary

Gary

Gary

Got the lockset installed. Fabricated a cover out of some .080 aluminum scrap to reinforce the split in the door core. Closes nice and solid now.

Attached Files:

nealtw likes this.
  16. Apr 2, 2018 #116

zannej

zannej

zannej

House looks beautiful! I love the garage doors.
    Nice job fixing up the door too! It looks nice and sturdy.

17. Apr 5, 2018 #117

Gary

Gary

Gary

Thanks zannej. Things are getting busy with work, so the tornado repair may take a back seat for awhile.

zannej likes this.
  18. Apr 5, 2018 #118

tuffy

tuffy

tuffy

NICE job looks great house looks beautiful too . is that an intercom system to the left of the door? Must be nice having all those tools at your beck and call. I can only dream. When I worked at the scrap yard I had snap on tools ,drill press and a hydraulic press but we got broke in to every thing stolen never have recovered. Now I have mostly dualast,harbor freight. and Milwaukee.

zannej likes this.
  19. Apr 5, 2018 #119

Gary

Gary

Gary

Thanks Tuffy. Yes, that's an intercom system we installed when we built the addition. It's kind of antiquated now, but it still works. It's handy when I'm out in the back shed and dinners ready. lol.

zannej and tuffy like this.