Trex Fencing

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Noise from a fence? I did use a trex type of fencing today, cut off the dog ears, and screwed them into my gate. Unsupported, they are quite flimsy, but we screwed and braced top, middle and bottom.20200321_165317.jpg

That looks great, but one caution about Trex. My Mother bought a house in 2011 that had a Grey Trex Deck. It was new in 2010 according to the neighbor, but took on a stain from??? There was only minimal trees, no leaves sitting on it, etc... The stains laughed at my pressure washer, scrubbing it with detergent was useless etc.... Between 6 of us in the family, we couldn't figure out where the stains came from or how to fix it.

If I remember correctly, it's just particle board with a laminate like coating.

There's no way I'll ever buy it, Cedar for me.

The old Trex was just particle board wrapped in plastic. The new Trex type of material is PVC and wood dust mixed together, so when you cut through it, all you see if plastic shreds and dust on the floor. I don't know if it includes a sunblock on the material, but would expect the sun to bleach it out in a few years. If and when this happens, I will just apply a light stain using a rag, and it should be good for another 5-10 years.

On your decking, I would test a patch with a stain to see if it blends correctly, and if so, would consider buying a Thompson sprayer, adding a gallon of spray, then wipe and smooth together using a rag wrapped around a push broom.

The old Trex was just particle board wrapped in plastic. The new Trex type of material is PVC and wood dust mixed together, so when you cut through it, all you see if plastic shreds and dust on the floor. I don't know if it includes a sunblock on the material, but would expect the sun to bleach it out in a few years. If and when this happens, I will just apply a light stain using a rag, and it should be good for another 5-10 years.

On your decking, I would test a patch with a stain to see if it blends correctly, and if so, would consider buying a Thompson sprayer, adding a gallon of spray, then wipe and smooth together using a rag wrapped around a push broom.

Ok, Good Luck. I would have to see a 10 year example with great results before considering it. I might buy a plank for such an experiment, though. I didn't see any other reason to dislike it that I can remember.

Back