Trex or Wood with Restore or Deckover

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

soparklion11

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm replacing the fascia on my house, behind the gutters. Should I use Trex, or buy regular lumber and coat it with a product such as Rustoleum Restore or Behr Deckover? They will all look the same from the ground and I don't want them to peal, rot and need to be replaced... ever.

There are complaints about Restore/Deckover pealing but those are on traffic surfaces rather than my vertical surface.

Last edited:
Are talking fascia, the board behind the gutters. Soffet is the space between the gutters and the wall of the house and is often vented ?

For the fascia, I would use a cellular PVC product like Azek instead of Trex. If you want to use wood, I'd prime all four sides and the cut ends before installing it, then a good top coat on all the exposed sides. If you're in it for the long haul, go with the cellular PVC. It machines like wood can be painted if you don't want white or left unpainted if you want white. It will outlast your ownership of the house. For soffits, you can use vinyl soffit or fiber cement soffit (James Hardi - Hardi-plank is one brand).

"ever" is a long time. If you are a homeowner, you will discover eventually that every part of your home will need maintenance sooner or later. But the PVC lumber is probably the way to go in this case.

Definitely replace with PVC. Azek or KLEER or similar board. It will never rot.

Dave Mason

Back