Troubleshooting forced air blower

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

68bucks

Reaction score
I have a forced air wood burner to heat a shop. It sits outside and has duct to blow the air inside including a return air duct. The return is about 12' long 12" round. The supply is 10" round with about 9' of run and enters the building through a 12" duct. The blower is rated at 1800 cfm, has a 1/2 hp 1075, 3 speed motor. I don't have a real good way to measure the actual air flow but I don't thing there is any way this thing is putting anywhere near that much out.

I have checked rotation wiring etc and I can't put my finger on the problem. The motor is a direct drive, split Capacitor, OAO motor. I checked the capacitor and it was border line so I replaced it, no help. I'm not sure of any other way to determine if the motor speed is correct, I don't have a tach, and I'm not sure what the heck else to look for. I attached a couple pics of inside the blower enclosure and the over all layout. Please excuse the bucket duct supports I'm still working on the install.

Attachments

• 20201127_152755.jpg
    20201127_152755.jpg
    58.6 KB · Views: 4
  • 20201127_152740.jpg
    20201127_152740.jpg
    29.6 KB · Views: 8
  • 20201125_131831.jpg
    20201125_131831.jpg
    43.1 KB · Views: 8
I figured out the problem. Tore the fan enclosure back apart and determined that the blower was in fact running backwards. I switched the leads for rotation and have all kinds of air flow.

I figured out the problem. Tore the fan enclosure back apart and determined that the blower was in fact running backwards. I switched the leads for rotation and have all kinds of air flow.
Good deal, we love happy endings.

I have to ask, why the long duct runs on the supply and return?

The duct run was mainly determined by where I wanted to set the heater and where they had to go through the wall. The supply is only about 10', the return is about 12'. If I could have turned the heater 90 degrees I could have shortened them a bit and saved an elbow but there is a tree in the way. Beside the 90 it would have only saved a couple feet of run.

Most around here are using hot water, run underground in insulation. Yours is the first I have seen hot air.

Our friend has one he heats his house with and he put the outside burner in a good size pole barn and he stores a years worth of wood inside the pole barn.

I don't want to burn this every day so a boiler would require antifreeze and that has its own issues plus a boiler isn't the best thing to heat cycle a lot. That is what lead me to a forced air system. There are a lot more options for outdoor boilers. I'm thinking about putting a system on the house in the future. That would be a boiler set up similar to what you described only in a small shed.

I don't want to burn this every day so a boiler would require antifreeze and that has its own issues plus a boiler isn't the best thing to heat cycle a lot. That is what lead me to a forced air system. There are a lot more options for outdoor boilers. I'm thinking about putting a system on the house in the future. That would be a boiler set up similar to what you described only in a small shed.
That seems logical.

There is something nice about bringing the heat in but leaving the dirty wood and bugs and smoke outside.

Check to see if furnace circuit breaker has tripped. If it has, reset and...

This problem was solved back in November... please skim through all the other answers before responding...

Back