Troubleshooting TRANE air handler

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shingledon

Reaction score
Greetings all, and wish you a fine weekend ahead.

About a week ago, I had water coming from my air handler which sits on a 2x4 riser frame in a closet.

I suspected a clogged condensate line, but I started off just cleaning the filters well.
I also poured some vinegar down the drain to clear any gunk that might be in it.

This seemed to work like a charm and it did, for about a week, when I heard water
dripping again into the pan I had placed in the closet.

Next up, I saw I had an old Hartell condensate pump in there to get the drain water outside. I didn't see water coming over the edge of the pump ,so I was still thinking there was a clog somewhere else. I do recall that the pump used to make some gurgling noises
when water was being pumped out, but I don't hear it now. I'm thinking the pump may be dead/disabled.

I can also see water is backing up at the PVC T joint at the middle of the air handler.
This the first time I have tried a DIY on my air handler , so I am fairly ignorant about a good process to isolate the issue.
What best steps should I take next to confirm dead or not pump ? and also rule out drain clog ?

I do have a service appointment scheduled, but it's not till next week. It's hot where I live and cooling is a must,
so I would rather handle this sooner than later if I can !

Thanks for your consideration of this issue.

Anyway, it was the condensation pump. I got the part from the local distributor who gave me a good price on it,
and installed myself. Cool as a cucumber again, what a relief.

Anyway, it was the condensation pump. I got the part from the local distributor who gave me a good price on it,
and installed myself. Cool as a cucumber again, what a relief.
The pumps are float operated so In the future, the pump can be tested by filling it with water and see if the pump kicks on.

The pumps are float operated so In the future, the pump can be tested by filling it with water and see if the pump kicks on.
My pumps are in a overflow catch tray with a switch on them that will shut the AC down if the pump fails. My attic unit that has just a gravity fed drain pipe shut down because a float switch on the air handler drain was tripped due to a blockage on the drain line. I just had new units installed earlier this year and the number of protections added from when the original units were installed 23 years ago are pretty slick. All designed to prevent water damage from a blocked drain or failed pump.

Newer units require shut-offs if the condensate backs up due to a clog or a broken pump.
Yes I have to go back in now. How do I clear my trap on an indoor air handler. The AC guy came to check it then did nothing
on the piping as the AC was working fine after changing the pump, now after several days I am getting water coming from
the backup outlet.

Put your shop vac on the discharge end of the drain piping and seal it with a rag or something similar. The clog is generally a gelatinous material from bacteria and will suck out through the drainpipe.

What exactly do you mean by "shut-offs" ? just turning off the unit ?
Float switches that will shut the unit off if water is backing up to where it shouldn't be. These are designed to prevent damage from leaks.

Float switches that will shut the unit off if water is backing up to where it shouldn't be. These are designed to prevent damage from leaks.
Got it. Yes it came with the wires for the safety switch. But it still seems optional for some installs as the leads were not
hard wired in. Anyways point taken.

Back