Tub spout leaking at the base

Help Support House Repair Talk:

ptremblay

Reaction score
I'm trying to determine why my bathtub spout is leaking at the base and running out of things to try.

It's a fairly straightforward slip-on faucet, Riobel 871. I replaced all of the o-rings, I replaced the diverter which wasn't working properly. The only thing I can think of is that the threaded part inside the spout where the slip-on connector screws onto appears to be worn, but it's hard to tell. I'm able to screw it in and it stays in place.

If I turn the water on, with the diverter off, the leak at the base is a trickle. If I pull up the diverter to activate the shower, water comes rushing out the back.

There are no leaks coming from the pipe, I tested that by removing the spout and letting the water flow from the pipe, all good there.

I suspect that the water pressure is too high, as when the diverter is down, water still comes out of the shower head. I ordered a regulator which will hopefully take care of that issue. Now if I could only figure out the leak at the base.

riobel-871.JPG

Snoonyb

Lifetime Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
Just a guess: set the disassembled spout at a 45 degree angle, upside down, flood with CLR, rinse, and in the reassembly process, use faucet lab on the "O" rings.

ptremblay

Reaction score
Interesting, I hadn't considered cleaning it with CLR. Here I was using a toothbrush and dish soap, I'll give it a try.

A quick follow-up question: the pipe extends 1 1/4" from the wall. If I wanted to replace this 7" spout with a shorter 5" (for the simple reason that 7" spouts are surprisingly difficult to find in store), would this require cutting/replacing the pipe or is this the "insert" part fairly standard across spout lengths?

Snoonyb

Lifetime Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
If the stub is 1/2" tubing, I would look for a MIX-IT spout, which uses a similar sealing mechanism to your spout, however the depth would be critical to the seal.

Snoonyb

Lifetime Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
The "lab" was a spell-check, thinking for me.

I've used PASCO faucet lube and heat resistant grease for about 45yrs, and simply shorten the description to amplify it's intended use/application, as defined.

IE, faucet lube.