Tub spout leaking at the base

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ptremblay

Reaction score
I'm trying to determine why my bathtub spout is leaking at the base and running out of things to try.

It's a fairly straightforward slip-on faucet, Riobel 871. I replaced all of the o-rings, I replaced the diverter which wasn't working properly. The only thing I can think of is that the threaded part inside the spout where the slip-on connector screws onto appears to be worn, but it's hard to tell. I'm able to screw it in and it stays in place.

If I turn the water on, with the diverter off, the leak at the base is a trickle. If I pull up the diverter to activate the shower, water comes rushing out the back.

There are no leaks coming from the pipe, I tested that by removing the spout and letting the water flow from the pipe, all good there.

I suspect that the water pressure is too high, as when the diverter is down, water still comes out of the shower head. I ordered a regulator which will hopefully take care of that issue. Now if I could only figure out the leak at the base.

riobel-871.JPG

Just a guess: set the disassembled spout at a 45 degree angle, upside down, flood with CLR, rinse, and in the reassembly process, use faucet lab on the "O" rings.

Interesting, I hadn't considered cleaning it with CLR. Here I was using a toothbrush and dish soap, I'll give it a try.

A quick follow-up question: the pipe extends 1 1/4" from the wall. If I wanted to replace this 7" spout with a shorter 5" (for the simple reason that 7" spouts are surprisingly difficult to find in store), would this require cutting/replacing the pipe or is this the "insert" part fairly standard across spout lengths?

If the stub is 1/2" tubing, I would look for a MIX-IT spout, which uses a similar sealing mechanism to your spout, however the depth would be critical to the seal.

The "lab" was a spell-check, thinking for me.

I've used PASCO faucet lube and heat resistant grease for about 45yrs, and simply shorten the description to amplify it's intended use/application, as defined.

IE, faucet lube.

Back