Tub to Shower Replacement Problem

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kenreich

Reaction score
I am wanting to replace a tub and ceramic tile surround with a fiberglass step-in shower and surround for my elderly mother-in-law. The tub is a 60" x 30" tub. I have no problem finding a 60" x 30" right hand drain step in shower pan and surround walls. My problem is that there is an exterior window on the left side that is only 26 1/2" from the back left corner of the shower. The exterior wall is brick, and moving the window is not an option.

Does anyone know of a solution other than the flat, fiberglass, adhesive bond shower walls? I can cut the left panel to fit around the opening and then trim out the opening of the window with vinyl trim. I'm just concerned about how nice the glue on walls will look and how well they will stay attached over time.

Any help would be appreciated - THANKS!

Ken

Windows in bathrooms are to meet the required natural light and ventilation.

An exhaust fan controlled by the light switch takes care of that part.

Instead of amending the specific shower wall kit, you could use FRP and add shelfs as necessary, then trim the window as you had planned.

FRP has it's own recommended adhesive.

Probably not the ideal solution, but have you considered a fiberglass or acrylic shower floor, and then using tile on the walls?

Thanks for the replies so far. We are trying to get away from tile.

The FPR idea is basically what we were looking at except that would be thicker and leave an edge I’m not sure how to finish.????

I would fine with enclosing the window, but not sure mother-in-law would want to do that. But it is an option and we will talk about it.

Ken

Back