Turning a commerical light into a beautiful thing

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

swimmer_spe

Reaction score
https://www.bidsquare.com/online-auctions/king/pair-beacon-crouse-hinds-tower-beacon-lights-698499
On my property, someone left the one on the left.

I have yet to move it as it is frozen into the ground. Once it thaws, I have an idea. The house is a waterfront property. I was thinking of making this into a lighthouse at the shoreline by our dock. I don't want it so bright that it ruins the night, but something that would be a unique feature. It has a Fresnel Lens. if there is no fixture inside for a bulb, anyone know what wattage of a light would give a good glow but not be blinding? Any suggestions of how to mount it?

Last edited:
I'd recommend a 60-100W exterior flood light, like you might have over the garage or front porch. Should be easily visible but won't cause a lot of light pollution. If you make it a red light that's even better.

OK, any regular red bulb then.

I'd recommend a 60-100W exterior flood light, like you might have over the garage or front porch. Should be easily visible but won't cause a lot of light pollution. If you make it a red light that's even better.

I was thinking with that type of lens that wattage would be too high.

I'm not too familiar. I know what a Fresnel lens is, and have used lamps with them a lot from my work in the film industry, but I wasn't aware that the lens itself dictated wattage requirements. You probably know as much or likely more about it than I do.

I do still think a red bulb would be best though. It's enough to be seen at night, but the red won't create nearly as much light pollution. I imagine with waterfront property there's a good chance that part of the appeal of where you live is being able to see the stars at night.

I'm not too familiar. I know what a Fresnel lens is, and have used lamps with them a lot from my work in the film industry, but I wasn't aware that the lens itself dictated wattage requirements. You probably know as much or likely more about it than I do.

I do still think a red bulb would be best though. It's enough to be seen at night, but the red won't create nearly as much light pollution. I imagine with waterfront property there's a good chance that part of the appeal of where you live is being able to see the stars at night.

They are used as lighthouse lenses as they amplify the light. I may end up going red, but not sure yet. Part of the issue is legally, red and green lights are for navigating a channel.

Me, I'd think about an led solar light, that way you won't have to run a service to it. Modify something like this.

https://homeandlighting.co/products...anging-light-for-garden-patio-home-decoration

Where I'll be putting it, there is power close enough.

Why not go with a multi colored LED maybe even one you can control with Alexa.
"Hey alexa open the port" turn on lights to white slow strobe
"Hey alexa the fog be thick ... YYYAAARRRR!" turn on the light to Purple full brightness
"Hey alexa stealth mode" turn off the light.

There are way too many options so if your just looking for something to get you started you could go with Wyze products. Shop Wyze
Wyze has a huge host of products for accomplishing this kind of thing. Just be aware they are priced to be the cheapest on the market and you really can't compare them to like a Philips-Hue product... It's like comparing Harbor Freight tools to Festool tools.

And now that I look at it, it looks like Wyze is out of stock for the multicolor bulbs... but their outdoor plugs and such might help you too. All Wifi controllable. Then you could just go to home depot and get any mulitcolored lightbulb and wire it back to a wyze wall plug and control it with your phone or alexa.

Last edited:
Why not go with a multi colored LED maybe even one you can control with Alexa.
"Hey alexa open the port" turn on lights to white slow strobe
"Hey alexa the fog be thick ... YYYAAARRRR!" turn on the light to Purple full brightness
"Hey alexa stealth mode" turn off the light.

There are way too many options so if your just looking for something to get you started you could go with Wyze products. Shop Wyze
Wyze has a huge host of products for accomplishing this kind of thing. Just be aware they are priced to be the cheapest on the market and you really can't compare them to like a Philips-Hue product... It's like comparing Harbor Freight tools to Festool tools.

And now that I look at it, it looks like Wyze is out of stock for the multicolor bulbs... but their outdoor plugs and such might help you too. All Wifi controllable. Then you could just go to home depot and get any mulitcolored lightbulb and wire it back to a wyze wall plug and control it with your phone or alexa.

That is an idea.

Back