Two questions about this pic - mortar and spigot

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

vinny186

Reaction score
I need to patch a few holes in the mortar from wasps so i won't need more than a cups worth. Can i buy it in small quantities?

The spigot handle broke off but i've come across another handle for that type of spigot. This might be a dumb question but if I want to remove the broken handle I'll need to unscrew the screw that holds it in place. Will I need to shut off the water first? There isn't a local shut off so I'd have to shut off the main which isn't a big deal but I just want to know what I'm dealing with.

Attachments

• spigot.jpg
    spigot.jpg
    71.9 KB · Views: 19

Snoonyb

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks, I was going to suggest a closer image, however, is there any exposed shaft behind the handle?

Apply several treatments, to the rusted hex-drive, with PB-Blaster.

vinny186

Reaction score
Yes, there is shaft after the handle and when I unscrew the circular "cap" I can see the copper pipe. Anyone know the purpose of the cap?

Steve123

Reaction score
Don't plug weep holes in the bottom course of bricks.

kok328

Reaction score
Yes, there is shaft after the handle and when I unscrew the circular "cap" I can see the copper pipe. Anyone know the purpose of the cap?
this is/was a frost free spigot with anti-siphon (as required by code for outdoor spigots), cap keeps debris out of the anti-siphon/backflow preventer while allowing for an air gap.
These screws are hard to get out without stripping the head. Once you do get it out, it's hard to find a replacement (I've been looking for about a month now).
If it were me, I'd replace the whole unit.
P.S.- no need to turn the water off to remove the handle screw.

vinny186

Reaction score
Thanks for all the info! Kok328, I was at HD today and pulled out a screw from a new spigot - it wasn't easy, and tried to match it in the special fastener section but had no luck. For some reason the other end of this spigot is behind a wall so I'm going to do what I can to just replace the handle.

Eddie_T

Reaction score
If you can get your screw out w/o breaking it find a nut that fits the threads. Then find a screw to fit the nut.

BuzzLOL

Reaction score
Usually there's a display that helps you identify what size and thread a screw, bolt, or nut is... just screw it in or on the selections...
I also recently saw the auto parts store has something similar for brake and fuel lines and their various nuts... about 20 different choices... I had no idea there were so many now...

vinny186

Reaction score
Yep, got the mortar caulk - didn't know they sold it that way lol