Two questions on drywall repair.

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tomtheelder2020

Reaction score
Replacing drywall around back door from laundry room - my first attempt at drywall. On the left side (photo below) the drywall abuts a wood cabinet. The new drywall extends about an inch into the corner with the cabinet. Typical corner tape seems obviously the wrong choice here. I am thinking of filling the gap out to near the surface with anything (probably will use drywall mud) then finish that with a thin bead of painters caulk. Does that sound reasonable?

I applied corner tape on the opposite side of the door. After that dried, I applied a top coat of mud on the right side of the corner. Clearly I didn't get enough mud on the wall at the bottom, probably in both steps, because the tape has come loose along a couple of inches (photo below). My thought is to ease a little mud under that tape and then apply another top coat - will that work? Thanks.

cabinet corner.jpgTape loose.jpgcabinet corner.jpgTape loose.jpg

For the top picture I'd just use a bead of painters caulk to close the gap. You could also use a thin piece of lattice trim on the cabinet painted to match to close the gap. The taped joint does appear you squeezed out too much mud when bedding your tape. I'd pull it and start over. Also, for inside corners I really like this product. Much easier for a novice to get a clean inside corner. But for just a small amount I probably would just use regular paper tape.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/BEADEX-Brand-100-ft-Corner-Bead/50012438

Sparky, that is exactly what I had planned to use - probably based on a previous recommendation by you - but they were out so I got this instead: https://www.lowes.com/pd/ClarkDietrich-Building-System-Perfect-90/1002752388

I will pull that problem section and start over. The kitchen and all of the bedrooms have trim around the ceiling (I guess it was a 50s thing) so it will fit right in with the rest of the house. Thanks.

BTW, sorry about the double photos. Don't know how that happened.

Back