Type of filter for my cooker hood?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

geek84

Reaction score
Good Morning Folks

I have just moved into a new property and want to change the filter for my cooker hood.

I have been reasding the cooker manual and it states that 3 types of filters can be used - Fleece Grease Filter, Metal Grease Filter and Active Filter.

Can someone kindly explain the difference between the 3 and the best one to install?

Thank in advance for your responses.

The metal grease filters can be run through your dishwasher to clean periodically, and is probably the least expensive option in the long term. My over the range microwaves have all had metal filters. The main goal is to keep grease from accumulating inside the ductwork. Active would likely have a charcoal filter in it, and I'd probably use that if it wasn't vented to the outdoors. I would avoid a non-vented hood if at all possible. Fleece seems like a bad idea.

The fleece and active filters are disposable. The metal one is re-usable after washing. As Sparky said, active is likely to have charcoal to filter out odors.

I agree with Sparky about fleece not seeming like a good idea and that charcoal is good if your hood doesn't vent to the outside. If it does vent to the outside, the metal filters might be the most economical.

Back