Underground PVC drain pipes pulled apart.

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Decades

Reaction score
Noticed a cavity forming next to my sidewalk. Pulled some turf away and discovered that my underground downspout drain pipes had pulled away from each other at a connection.
This is cheap crap 3" D2729 PVC pipe. Very hard to find parts for this.I did find a coupling for this particular pipe but how do you connect it without digging up the entire thing. The Bell end sunk slightly and the other part under the sidewalk is slightly higher. Looks like never been glued. The connector I found would be for 2 non bell end pieces. Any thoughts on how to do this repair?

Attachments

• pvc drain pipe.jpg
    pvc drain pipe.jpg
    72.8 KB · Views: 0
  • connector.jpg
    connector.jpg
    28 KB · Views: 0
Use a rubber coupling. You can slide it onto one pipe, align them and slide back onto the other pipe. They come in all sizes and brands.

1685362785419.png

Use a rubber coupling. You can slide it onto one pipe, align them and slide back onto the other pipe. They come in all sizes and brands.

View attachment 30874
Thanks for your response. How would you slide this onto the pipe? The bell end (3.375 OD) is about 1/4 " below the non bell end (3.25 O.D.).
Currently both pipe ends are not moveable to align.

I actually bought that 3"quick plumb product (3.50 I. D). you have pictured. I.D was too big for the non-bell end side, so returned it. I have extra pipe to test various approaches. This 3" D2729 PVC is odd duck pipe.

Found another rubber coupling that would probably work.

Attachments

• coupling.jpg
    coupling.jpg
    52.7 KB · Views: 0
My thought would be to excavate back about 3 feet from where it pulled apart and cut the pipe right there. Then flip it around (after sliding on a coupling) and attach the bell end to where I had just cut. This will give it some flexibility for aligning of the now 2 non-bell ends.

Thinking I might want to use the original rigid white coupling I had pictured if I can get things aligned good enough. I ground out the stop section in the middle of it.

Would this be the best approach? I worry about clogs at this connection. My sump water and all the crap in my gutters go through this out to the road.

Attachments

• slip coupling.jpg
    slip coupling.jpg
    51.9 KB · Views: 0

Latest posts

Back