Unlevel Floor

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Danm1209

Reaction score
Our house has a carport that was closed in by the previous owners and turned into a family room. The problem is they didn't level the floor's slope--they just tiled over it.

Any suggestions on how to level the floor?

Welcome to the Forum Danm:
We don't know how unlevel the floor is but here is a shot at the typical garage floor which would be off 2 to 3 inches back to front.
Using a laser level, mark points in the 4 corners that you will work to, lay out lines on 16" centers on the floor, take a measurement every foot along each line begining with the perimiter pieces, transfer the measurements to 2 by material and rip them out, placing them as you go (use glue and powder actuated nails to anchor, treated lumber.
With all the 2 bys down you can use underlayment grade tounge and groove 3/4" OSB (glued and screwed) as a subfloor and finish with whatever you choose. It will be a long day's work but very rewarding. Let us know how you come out on it.
Glenn

All this sub floor stuff makes me very glad we don't have to do that around here. if the floors not level we use the self leveling concrete if there are cracks concrete patch and a home inspection from the city all that is required. only once have I heard that someone had to bust out the floor and have it redone because the house sank about 6 inches on one side. only subfloor I've ever heard of anyone using here is the stuff you put under hardwood to make it softer to walk on. I wonder if all the subflooring has a lot to do with room temperature in the places with more of a multi climate.

Back