Unsure about washer/dryer set

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

applebear

Reaction score
I have a old stackable washer/dryer set...all considering, it's been holding it's own and I've had very little problems.

With that, my friend has another set that's newer and I'm wondering if I should replace before that day comes where mine hits the dust [as it's going to happen...it's over 20 years old, who we fooling]. But I have some concerns. For one, it's been sitting out in her garage for at least a couple years, and she doesn't even know if it works. Does sitting out in the garage [we do have harsh winters] matter? When we opened it, was full of those japanese beetles...I assume they can be vacuumed out, but I do wonder if that's not the only thing been in there. She of course won't expect me to keep it if it didn't work, but that requires A LOT...moving it into my home, taking mine out...setting it all up, then finding out. Then if it doesn't work, we have to reverse process and my guess that process will move much slower.

And lastly, it's electric, so it has this different exhaust tubing on it than I'm use to and I'm not sure how to work it to my current set up. I have a big, silver tube that leads across the basement ceiling to take the hot steamy stuff to the outside world. Hers has this very narrow, plastic black tube...I can all ready tell you there's no way it's going to reach where it needs to go....so, I'm not exactly sure of a solution to even use it. She's like "duct tape." Uh, I'm pretty sure hot steam is going to undo that fix in no time and my basement isn't set up where I can just keep going down constantly to keep trying to fix it. I really don't understand this tube, it's not even half the size to the silver ones I'm use to. Does the dryer even dry? lol

I could really use some guidance here, as I'd prefer not to go through the hassle if it's only going to be more trouble than it's worth. My current set may be old, but it at least works. :p

Last edited:
!st, is it 240V and do you have a 240V recepticle in the location of your existing? Some 240V appliances can be easily converted to 120V, and operate normally, with the exception that the dryer takes longer too dry.

2nd. Is there a 240V recepticle in her garage, so that with a water hose you can test the machine?

Don't borrow trouble. Your set works. Tell her "thank you but no thank you."

!st, is it 240V and do you have a 240V recepticle in the location of your existing? Some 240V appliances can be easily converted to 120V, and operate normally, with the exception that the dryer takes longer too dry.

2nd. Is there a 240V recepticle in her garage, so that with a water hose you can test the machine?

No, sadly we have no way of testing it at her place. One of reasons she isn't keeping it. I'm trying to remember if it's 240 or 120...is it a huge difference on how long it takes to dry? That could help in my decision making.

I don't know, I know if we could test it first and I understood that narrow black tube better...I'd have no problem with deciding.

Hi applebear, you would need and outlet like this wired to a double 30 amp breaker next to the dryer.
http://www.google.com/shopping/prod...nK1ME8sUN6Q1f1Z3jScfrl6X8iiuI_FRoCgrEQAvD_BwE
The black hose is likely just a cheap connector house
The washer could be tested outside with a garden house connected to it and run on cold only or the other connection and run on hot only.
Then you would know if it runs thru the cycles.
I suspect that you have a gas dryer because you don't have room in the breaker box for the need breakers.

Hi applebear, you would need and outlet like this wired to a double 30 amp breaker next to the dryer.
http://www.google.com/shopping/prod...nK1ME8sUN6Q1f1Z3jScfrl6X8iiuI_FRoCgrEQAvD_BwE
The black hose is likely just a cheap connector house
The washer could be tested outside with a garden house connected to it and run on cold only or the other connection and run on hot only.
Then you would know if it runs thru the cycles.
I suspect that you have a gas dryer because you don't have room in the breaker box for the need breakers.

Yes, I have gas. :) Your link lead to a blank page, but we think I have the right hookup, as it has a huge plug that looks much the same...would have to check of course before any moving. I'm really hesitant though because I just don't know how to make the hose work, and not knowing if the set works...that's just a lot of work, just to find out it may not work. It's not possible to test it at her place, she has no where to plug it.

And there is the chance of those furry some brown some gray 4 legged critters who like to make nests and chew on wires called mice. and cause all kinds of problems.

If you load it on a truck, it might be worth taking to a repair shop and have them tested.

That's a good idea, but neither of us is going to be willing to pay for it to be done. I think I'm just going to tell her to just try to sell it to someone else...too many unknowns for me, and too much hassle if it doesn't work.

My set will probably break tomorrow now. ;)

They are often in the garage because they are near end of life if not there already, but things do deteriorate too. So even if they were good when put there and working now. The time they might last would be questionable.

The reason why it comes off as so much work is because that's all it is, a whole lot of work for little to no benefit. There's no upgrade in doing this, you'd just be trading sideways, one set of problems for another, no good.

Latest posts

Back