Upside Down

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sparky617

Reaction score
All,
Not sure how many others have been getting private messages from Upside Down, If you get one, I'd just ignore it. This was the final message I got with the subject line of Plumbing, after telling him he should post his questions publicly.

Plumbing?
Thanks for your permission to proceed. It's not often I meet someone as gracious as you have been. That's the reason I stay off the main forum, to avoid ridicule.

The plumbing that I describe is so ancient that it dates back to The Old Testament. With WWIII looming on the horizon (struggle between the superpowers as seen in current events) there is a possibility I will have to flee the conveniences of modern plumbing and head for some desolate or deserted area. Much like the people in Ukraine that had to go to some underground bunker to avoid aerial bombing.

This is very embarrassing for me to discuss such private matters, that's why I chose private messaging. Please consider the following instruction given to the old-fashioned Israelites dwelling in the wilderness: "A peg should be part of your equipment. When you squat outside, you should dig a hole with it and then cover your excrement." -Deut. 23:13.

Therefore, do you feel the aforementioned plumbing would be beneficial in case I have to flee my residents or is there some other method you suggest?

Indebted,
Joseph

If anyone is getting spam messages, please forward a copy to me or any of the moderators.
It was kind of weird from the start "he" didn't want to post his question publicly. I'm curious was anyone else getting contacted as well? It wasn't until the last message I posted that he got to his "plumbing" question which seems more like evangelizing.

I did not get contacted. I found this bizarre and hilarious, but at the same time annoyingly familiar (because of the apocalyptic paranoia, for which my tolerance has grown thin).

It is indeed evangelizing though.

It was a rather strangely worded message but I saw no attempt at evangelizing. The writer was just citing historical references where he might better have described the disposal system he has questions about.

@Eddie_T It seems clear to me the writer did not actually have any questions about a disposal system. He was using the pretext of such a question to establish a sense of urgency ("the apocalypse is coming!") and then drop a call to action ("accept Jesus before it's too late!") though he was doing it very subtly. I believe the goal was to get people to engage with him, so he could lead forum members down that conversational path until the evangelizing was completely explicit.

I have seen the exact same tactics used by street-corner and college campus evangelists.

OK I guess the reason I missed it because I wouldn't use such a corny round-about-approach. I just live my life until someone asks a specific question about my lifestyle or decisions.

OK I guess the reason I missed it because I wouldn't use such a corny round-about-approach. I just live my life until someone asks a specific question about my lifestyle or decisions.
That's why you'll never cut it as an evangelist!

In none of his earlier messages did he ask an actual plumbing question. The only reference to plumbing was in his bible verse. Do I think he should crap on the ground and cover it? That ain't plumbing, that's the lack of plumbing.

I did not get contacted.
It is indeed evangelizing though.
I wasn't contacted, either... that person prolly knows better by now than to try and fool me...
Yes, if a message tries to paint religion addiction in a good light, it is evangelizing...

I wasn't contacted, either... that person prolly knows better by now than to try and fool me...
Yes, if a message tries to paint religion addiction in a good light, it is evangelizing...
What do you call people that never miss an opportunity to bash religion?

Back