Using Old Heating Oil

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aNYCdb

Reaction score
Neighbor bought a house that hadn't been used in about 7-8 years. I had a about 200 gallons of home heating oil in the tank that has presumably sitting there the since then and the neighbor offered it up to me. Does anyone know if the oil is still good? Is there something I can do to check it or extra filtration I need to apply to make sure it doesn't have water somehow in it?

Or maybe just tell me its not worth the effort to get a $400 worth of free heat.

I would take it if i had oil heat and could use it. Maybe filter it a little when adding it to your tank. It will burn.

How do you plan to transfer it? I would say it definitely should be filtered.
Geo

How do you plan to transfer it? I would say it definitely should be filtered.
Geo

I was going to use a small transfer pump to move the oil to a drum I have an then do the same to put it into my tank. I'm curious what the most practical way of filtering the oil might be.

transferring it to a drum is only half the battle. Gotta move the drum. 200 gallons=multiple trips. I wouldn't want to put it all in my tank at once. Mixing it in with fresh oil might make the burner happier.

Back