Using wire mold to extend ungrounded circuit

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NeilG

Reaction score
Can someone verify that NEC 250.86 allows the use of raceway (Wiremold) to extend an ungrounded circuit up to 25 feet? I only want to extend a circuit a few feet to get plugs out from behind some furniture. Thanks for you help.

Neil

EXCEPTION #1;
Exception No. 1: Metal enclosures and raceways for conductors added to existing installations of open wire, knob-and-tube wiring, and nonmetallic-sheathed cable shall not be required to be connected to the equipment grounding conductor where these enclosures or wiring methods comply with (1) through (4) as follows:

(1) Do not provide an equipment ground

(2) Are in runs of less than 7.5 m (25 ft)

(3) Are free from probable contact with ground, grounded metal, metal lath, or other conductive material

(4) Are guarded against contact by persons

Yes, I already implied that I read the standard.

(1) I'd be extending an old NMC circuit, not grounded.
(2) The run will be much less than 25 feet.
(3) I'll use non-metallic raceway.
(4) It will be mostly behind a bed and not in a traffic area.

If you are than questioning the standard, then end the run in a GFCI recep.

No, I'm asking if I'm interpreting it correctly, that is, it's kosher to do what I want to do.

If you are questioning "your" interpretation of exemption #1, which you assured "me" you had read, then again, install a GFCI rep at the end of the run, as a safety device.

Does anyone have an answer that is helpful? It would be much appreciated.

I do not know the exact code or how it would be read by an inspector.

If it was my house I wouldn’t have an issue to DIY extending a older ungrounded outlet along the same run. I would likely do as suggested above and replace the old outlet with a GFCI that would now bring it up to code and then take my new outlet and wire it off the (load) connections of the GFCI outlet and now it would be to code regardless of the distance.

If you for some reason want another ungrounded outlet you can do that and maybe one of the pros will stop and answer to that section of the code.

I think he's looking for a YES/NO answer, and even though he said he has read the NEC article, the 1st exemption, and I've quoted the same exemption, which clearly address his concerns.

Frankly, I'am at a loss.

Thank you Bud, that's very helpful. I didn't realize that if I put a GFCI on the source of the Wiremold that it would be code compliant. It wasn't clear from the other poster that's what was meant. I don't want another ungrounded outlet, I just want it to be safe.

Thank you Bud, that's very helpful. I didn't realize that if I put a GFCI on the source of the Wiremold that it would be code compliant. It wasn't clear from the other poster that's what was meant. I don't want another ungrounded outlet, I just want it to be safe.
When you switch a 2 wire no ground to a GFCI it becomes as safe if not safer than a ground and compliant to today’s code. Any outlets down stream coming off the load terminals will be GFCI protected as well.

Glad we could help.

Back