Vacant house security

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

urimak

Reaction score
Hi All,
I was wondering what would be your experience and/or advice for a vacant house security?

The house is vacant now, has boarded windows (for several years), but in a week or so, they will be removed. There wont be anything inside except an old fridge, oven, and the plumbing (copper) . The house was bought in foreclosure, and had the pipes removed before. For a few months there hasn't been any concerns, but recently someone has been trying to get in.

On a side note: A month or so ago, someone had been entering late at night and leaving, but there hasn't been a single nail moved or damaged, even though I had several brand new tools, no food was eaten either. I had some fruits in the house. I have no idea how they could get in, probably door? These people don't concern me.

There is someone else who is trying to get in. He has been trying to remove nails from the boards and weather him or someone else had the front door damaged from being kicked. Before I got the house some "homeless" was residing in it.

I already have a security alarm, bought online and functional, monitoring all the doors. In case a window gets broken, if the room door gets opened alarm gets activated.

The house is a corner house. One sort of major street but very low traffic. There are neighbors, but the lots are big so this is not the typical city lot. Also the city has good responsive police.

What are your suggestions , what should I do one the windows are removed. I work full time during the day, so it would be hard to stand guard at night and brake knuckles, that i encourage such behavior, but just in case someone mentions it.

What I have been told: Kepe lights open at random times, after curtains or blinds have been installed.

What I have seen though are vacant homes, those for sale or for rent , in same streets, with no lights and no concerns to show as if there are inhabitants.

Local mobile security company. The drive by type that look in on businesses and leave their sign in the front yard.
Leave lights on in all the rooms so a dark room would be easy to spot as a potential problem. Ask the police to drive by on their way to the donut shop. Pay for the donuts up front.:)

If your alarm system does not notify law enforcement, you need one that does.

Set lights/lamps that are timer activated and change the activation schedule.

Drop by sporadically during the evening.

If you have an associate who works graveyard, ask them to stop by.

Put a beware of dog sign on the front, a really big chain attached to the hand rail and a big water bowl by the chain.

TP-Link smart plugs are programmable through the Kasa app which is free. The smart plugs don't cost a lot in my opinion. You could plug in a radio and lamps. These are connected to and controlled by wifi.
I can turn our smart plugs on at anytime from anywhere in the world as long as I have a data connection on my device. The app also has a schedule which can be set for day and night or anytime in between.
A cheaper alternative would be placing Fumigation signs in the windows stating that there is poison fumigation in the home. That should deter most people.

Timer activated lights are a very good idea. If they're just left on constantly through the night, it wouldn't be hard for someone to realise no one is in.

Security van would be too expensive. The idea about the cops isn't too bad though

Are utilities going to be left on during the vacancy?
For some reason I'm thinking long term vacancy not just a short vacation scenario here.

All of the above, in some variety. Here's two more I'd like to add: place curtains or blinds in the windows so the house looks more lived in. Park a car in the driveway.

Back