Valor Portrait gas fireplace: automatic pilot ignition broken

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jacobc

Reaction score
I'm not sure if this is the right category for this post, but other fireplace-related posts seem to be in the general category. I have a Valor Portrait gas fireplace (https://www.valorfireplaces.com/media/Portrait/English/530-IN-IP.pdf). It comes with a remote that's supposed to be able to start it automatically, but it isn't. I'm able to turn on the fireplace manually: open it up, remove some of the fake logs to expose the pilot light, start the gas flow, and ignite the pilot light with a lighter. So I know the gas supply is fine, and the pilot light and overall light work. The flame adjustment knob works too. When I try to use the remote, it communicates with the receiver, I hear the expected electronic beeping sounds, and the flame adjustment knob turns, but the pilot light doesn't come on. The batteries in the receiver and the remote have been changed.

So based on what works and what doesn't, it seems like to me like what's broken is the automatic ignition, i.e. whatever is supposed to start the pilot light when directed by the remote, without need for a lighter. Does that sound right? Are there other possibilities and things to check? Is the ignition a part that's easy to replace? Thanks a lot.

The switch is on, of course. I don't see a spark on the pilot assembly.

Please describe the process, so that others can discover, from the experience.

It turned out to be ridiculously simple: I just needed to change the batteries (4 AA) in the fireplace receiver. To be clear, I had changed the batteries already, but it seems whatever charge the batteries I had put in contained was enough to communicate with the remote but not enough to actually light the fireplace. I found some rechargeable batteries, fully charged them, and put them into the receiver, and the remote was able to light the fireplace.

Back