Vapor Barrier Paint

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WallyPop

Reaction score
The walls of my attached, unheated, garage also double as interior walls of my family room and breakfast/mudroom area. Recently, thanks to my grandkids helpfully deciding to wash our cars while the cars were still in the garage, their wildly spraying water hose, water damaged my garage wall sheet rock. I removed most of the unsalvageable sheetrock, including the underlying, 30 year old, settled fiberglass insulation. In my removing this old insulation the vapor barrier paper on the living area side of the wall got stripped, tore and was scrapped. Luckily, none of the living area sheetrock suffered any damage; however vapor blockage is no longer properly in effect.

How to repair?

My original intent was to cut plastic sheet to size, staple it in place and then install bare fiberglass batts. Quickly became apparent, it's too much of a chore steering the plastic around wiring cables, electrical boxes, etc,.

An alternative idea came to mind! If I only had a vapor barrier paint, I'd painlessly solve my problem.

I'm here now to probe your collective wisdom(s).

1. Is there really such an effective paint available? Google suggests there is. Consumer reports doesn't. DIY forum real world experiences offer?

2. Any other suggestions/approaches?

Thanks, appreciate any help you may offer.

WallyPoP

What about cutting some fanfold insulation to size and putting in the cavities?

The walls of my attached, unheated, garage also double as interior walls of my family room and breakfast/mudroom area. Recently, thanks to my grandkids helpfully deciding to wash our cars while the cars were still in the garage, their wildly spraying water hose, water damaged my garage wall sheet rock. I removed most of the unsalvageable sheetrock, including the underlying, 30 year old, settled fiberglass insulation. In my removing this old insulation the vapor barrier paper on the living area side of the wall got stripped, tore and was scrapped. Luckily, none of the living area sheetrock suffered any damage; however vapor blockage is no longer properly in effect.

How to repair?

My original intent was to cut plastic sheet to size, staple it in place and then install bare fiberglass batts. Quickly became apparent, it's too much of a chore steering the plastic around wiring cables, electrical boxes, etc,.

An alternative idea came to mind! If I only had a vapor barrier paint, I'd painlessly solve my problem.

I'm here now to probe your collective wisdom(s).

1. Is there really such an effective paint available? Google suggests there is. Consumer reports doesn't. DIY forum real world experiences offer?

2. Any other suggestions/approaches?

Thanks, appreciate any help you may offer.

WallyPoP

Don't know what it was, but when i redone my bathroom i bought dome white paint, that was a little costly, but it stopped moisture from going into the drywall. I would say that would be a vapor barrier? Paul

Appreciate the suggestion. Already possess unbacked fiberglass batts, which is why I need to vapor barrier the living area sheetrock and keep moisture out of the cold side of 2x4 wall structure, which I will subsequently re-sheetrock to finish off the garage.

Fanfold would be tricky to fit in between the studs because of electric cable runs, outlet and switch boxes,etc. in the cavities. It too would still need vapor barrier protection as above.

Paul522......

Thanks for the reply.

The white paint approach sounds promising. Any clues regarding brand name, where to purchase, sprayable, etc. Also any idea as to whether it really work(s)ed as a vapor barrier? I'd probably need about 4-5 gallons so may be able to purchase more economically.

Latest posts

Back