Vertical Blinds vs. Toddler

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mukarakaplan

Reaction score
My 2 year old daughter is interested in pulling vertical blinds. She pulled some individual slats and broke their holes. Then she pulled the wand and managed to bring the whole thing down. She didn't injure anyone but it was close. Extension brackets are still on the wall, so I realized that they were installed on the wall well but they don't grasp the headrail firmly. So I didn't put the blinds back in the extension brackets. Is there a toddler-proof way to install vertical blinds so that individual slats or the whole thing would not fall?

https://www.fixmyblinds.com/identify-your-part/vertical-blind-diagram.html

Perhaps a shorter wand is in order (something she can't reach) or I wonder if there is a breakaway version. I wouldn't get too crazy about it though, these interests seem to be short-lived.

I have been watching a 2 yo and a 9 month old and I have to say if they can reach it they are going to test it out.

NO means smile and keep doing it to the 9 month old.

Only thing I can think of if the slot at the top had a split in it maybe when they pull on the blind part it would pop off and they could then take it apart one slat at a time. the rod I would chop off short like SnS suggested.

In my day my parents had a different deterrent for me doing things, but that was a different time. ;)

Back