Vinyl window repair

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Thomas529

Reaction score
House purchased several years ago with replacement vinyl windows.

Several problems:
Can't determine mfg.
Tilt latch broken on one
All need replacement weatherstripping on bottom on window. It is a bulb type with t slot.

Any suggestion how I can rehab this window?

And how would anyone even be able to guess without a picture?
Unlatch the window and remove the whole sash and look over all the sides of the window for any labels or markings, look at the bottom right hand side of the glass for an etched label.
Look to see if there's an aluminum divider strip between the pieces of glass to see if you can see any ID marks.
This a is a very common issue, why most manufactures do not mark there windows is beyond me.

Really? You could tell mfg from a picture?

Would it be better to ask a thousand questions and hope others will understand how you describe things.

Much can be leaned and clarified with a photo.

Really? You could tell mfg from a picture?

Some may recognize the photo of the window, section of the jamb, weatherstrip, latch, etc. as a product they have dealt with.

Or, rather than depending upon the internet, take the camera and a small piece of the weatherstrip to several local window vendors.

Only one glass shop within 60 miles. They were of no help.
Glass is etched. MSC. 4-97. I'm guessing 4-97 is mfg date of glass. In 20 yrs I'm guessing mfg is out of business.
MSC don't know what that means.
Working on picture.

Latest posts

Back