Voltage across 2 line feeds?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hamberg

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Working on a 240v (15A) circuit. Black to neutral = 121v, Red to neutral = 122v, Black to Red = 4.5v??? What am I missing - is this right? Why?

One of the hot leads is dead.
The breaker is installed wrong and both hots are on the same leg of the service.
You used a tandem breaker instead of a two pole breaker.
Is this a new install or has it been working before?

One of the hot leads is dead. The breaker is installed wrong and both hots are on the same leg of the service. You used a tandem breaker instead of a two pole breaker. Is this a new install or has it been working before?

One is dead? Both have full voltage to neutral and ground. Circuit install 5 years ago and has been working fine.

Circuit background: 240v/15A 2-pole breaker servicing two heated floors/thermostats.

One stat died and was just following trouble shooting procedure.

Are you taking these reading from the breaker or from the end of the wires?
Is your meter on the correct setting for measuring 240V ?

Hamberg: Yes as advised take your readings at the breaker itself first. Start at the beginning first.
If the readings are correct at the breaker then go to the next point of connection and take your readings there.

If one stat died and you are taking readings after that stat this may be the reasoning of no 240v. I'm wondering why a neutral is in play though. I am not that familiar with floor heating so maybe it is a 120/240v circuit.

Yes, first check at the breaker box. If you have the same reading there, then going back to the first answer double check to make sure the two lines are not coming off of the same leg at the breaker. The black wire should be on one leg and the red wire on the other leg in order to get 240v.

Hamberg: Yes as advised take your readings at the breaker itself first. Start at the beginning first.
If the readings are correct at the breaker then go to the next point of connection and take your readings there.
If one stat died and you are taking readings after that stat this may be the reasoning of no 240v. I'm wondering why a neutral is in play though. I am not that familiar with floor heating so maybe it is a 120/240v circuit.

Here is the wiring diagram. There is a junction box in the basement, I'll check connections there too.

One floor was installed in 2016 and the other in 2017 - working fine since...

nuheat-ds-h59661-signaturehomeelementwiring-en.jpg

each pole is only 120v, right?
yes and you indicated that you meter is set for 200V range, so your meter can not measure between black and red. set the meter higher and recheck the breaker.

There is no neutral in this setup.

You should have 240v at the breaker. If you only have 4.6v I would check another 240v breaker just for a sanity check. If one side of the breaker is faulty the voltage could just be thermostat feedback. BTW is the other mat heating properly as you troubleshoot this thermostat?

Fixed!! (as always!) Thanks for the help/suggestions. Pulled cover off of junction box, pulled wire nuts off and one of the feed wires was not fully engaged.

No idea why it has taken 5 plus years for it to work itself loose but (re)wire-nutted the feeds and we are back up and running!

BTW, not sure who the inventor of heated flooring was/is but I'd nominate them for a Nobel prize!

You should have 240v at the breaker. If you only have 4.6v I would check another 240v breaker just for a sanity check. If one side of the breaker is faulty the voltage could just be thermostat feedback. BTW is the other mat heating properly as you troubleshoot this thermostat?
check all you want. until the MM is set correctly you won't get 240V of any 2 pole breaker.

Back