VR8204c3007 natural gas valve buzzing

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kmwest

Reaction score
I'm hearing a buzzing from a VR8204c3007 gas valve on my Burnham hot water boiler. (Boiler was installed in early 1990s, I think 1993). I've been in the house for four years so I don't know if the gas valve is original. This valve buzzed intermittently last winter, and this morning was the first time I noticed it this winter - we've been in a severe cold snap here in Minnesota for the last week so my boiler's been working overtime. The indicator lights (yellow and green) are both in the "heartbeat" pattern so it's no clear indication of a problem, but I'm also not eager for my boiler to die! Should I be preventative and call a heating tech to just replace it?

I'd be preventative and get it replaced. It's a critical item, and you're in a brutal winter area.
It's probably just the internal valve's coil buzzing, but it shouldn't make any sound.
It's not actually a warning buzzer, but I'd treat it like it is.

It hasnt been buzzing (as far as I know) for the last week or so. Don't know if that changes the recommendation.

I'd say replace.
I'm in the camp that says ... "you've been warned and graciously given time to deal with it".
If it were a boiler in Gainesville Florida, I'd wait until it died.
Not in Minnesota though.

Back