Walkway color too dark

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gail3

Reaction score
I had a walkway put in my backyard (my husband is in a wheelchair) and I had it acid stained but it is too dark (actually nearly black). They put some kind of coat on it and now it is too dark and very slippery. Every time I go out now it makes me sick to look at it and I am scared I am going to fall. Is there anything I can do? I don't mind having to pay to get it fixed, but I need to be able to tell them what I want them to do. At this point all I want is gray concrete. I can't have them re-pour it since there is a ramp involved and it leads to a doorway, it would become taller than the entrance. Please, Please, Please can you give me some advice.

Hmmm, can you provide a picture? You might be able to cover it with a concrete sealant or paint and not have to spent a ton of money getting it repaired.

you've already told them the work's unsatisfactory, right ? ' slippery ' will NOT meet ANY ADA spec & that's the contractor's fault so he's gotta fix it,,, another coat of sealer & a light broadcast of glass beads OR alum oxide would be our suggestion,,, sand breaks down,,, sher-wms carries ' shark's grip ' which's ground polycarbonate.

color's another issue, tho,,, that calls for a lightened sealer OVER the original sealer which has to be done anyway to add anti-slip protection

Thank all of you for your responses.I don't have a digital camera to take a picture. Sure wish I did.
Can the concrete be "microtopped" over a Polyurethane? ((I researched microtopping on the internet).
I do not want to use this contractor any more. He is hard to get hold of and I truly do not believe that he knows what he is doing. (this has been going on for over 4 months.) I showed him a concrete flower pot that had the color I wanted. When he sprayed the initial stain down I told him there was too much orange and there was no orange in the flower pot. Then he came back with a black stain and it darkened it even more. Then he put a Polyurethane sealant on it, after I explained that I did not want it to look too glossy or for it to be slippery. It has been a nightmare.
I want to use someone who knows about concrete this time, (I just want this fixed) but apparently I have trouble explaining what I want. So this time I need to be able to tell them exactly what I want done and what to use. I would like to tear the whole thing out, but that would not be practical.

no, it can't - not w/o removing the sealer,,, then again, not sure why that sealer was selected - we'd never use it.

think brad owens is an eliteCrete distributor for al,,, you might try there OR look on concretenetwork.com,,, personally, i'd have more confidence in an eC artisan knowing his training &, especially, his support from his distributor & ALL the other eC artisans found on their discussion board, concretelocator.com.

i am biased as we've held our eC license for over 9yrs,,, however, i've seen more bad jobs from the rest of the industry where the artisan AND the customer have been left to wave in the wind,,, mind you, i'm not guaranteeing success on the resolution of your issues but i do think the odds're better w/eC than anyone else.

send me an e-mail if you wish !

Last edited:
Back