Wall cavity

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jeremymcl

Reaction score
Hello
I live in Canada with very harsh winters. My house was built in the 60’s. When I bought this house it was a flip. Here’s the problem. The guy took down all interior drywall and added strips on 2x4s to make 6 inch walls. His top plate was brought up to the existing ceiling tile (ceiling that’s stapled to plywood that was used instead of drywall). Some parts of the top plate are not tight against the ceiling. Then he put up a drop ceiling to cover ceiling tiles. Now my problem is that over the years with no air movement above drop ceiling one day I noticed damp ceiling tiles and some staring to get moldy in some spots along outside wall.
I put up ventilation tiles to get air moving which Helped. Now Can I use sprayfoam to fill in the cavity’s? Will the foam hold moisture and condense on wall and ceiling?
i was thinking trimming of excess foam and tucking taping over it. I was also gonna take doing drop ceiling strap roof with 2X3s then add drywall to cover old ceiling tile. Will the air cavity between new ceiling drywall and old tile condense?
Really need some help

Thank you
Jer

Edit

Why not just remove the tile and drywall. A space like that would not be a problem if the ceiling is sealed and no house air can get there or you could fill the space with foam board. I would question the air sealing in the attic hole thru ceiling and tops of walls for pipe wires and lights. and the amount of insulation there. It sounds like the space you had was cold and it should have stayed warm even with out vents.

Why not just remove the tile and drywall. A space like that would not be a problem if the ceiling is sealed and no house air can get there or you could fill the space with foam board. I would question the air sealing in the attic hole thru ceiling and tops of walls for pipe wires and lights. and the amount of insulation there. It sounds like the space you had was cold and it should have stayed warm even with out vents.

This is the space between drop ceiling and top floor original ceiling

Attachments

• 610898AF-206B-477F-8490-29FE975076E5.jpeg
    610898AF-206B-477F-8490-29FE975076E5.jpeg
    27.6 KB · Views: 4
  • 1A2BBE5B-B391-4084-A64D-5FB5A718E316.jpeg
    1A2BBE5B-B391-4084-A64D-5FB5A718E316.jpeg
    29.9 KB · Views: 4
Back