Wall heaters keep running

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chris Klinzing

Reaction score
I have 5 walls heaters connected to 1 thermostat that heat my living room, dining room, kitchen & family room. Last week the heaters all of a sudden would not stop running no matter what the setting on the thermostat, even 40 degrees. I replaced the thermostat with a new one but they still just keep running, wiil not shut off. The only way I can shutting them off is by stutting off the breakers.
Anyone have any ideas?
Thank You

Welcome Chris:
The thermostat wire may be shorted somewhere along the line. Check it with an ohmmeter for continuity.
Glenn

Welcome Chris...I'm hoping when you changed the thermostat you found some 18ga low voltage wire hooked to it? Five heaters should be on a relay in a closet or attic, and you probably had to turn off two or three breakers before they all shut off? I am just guessin here, maybe the relay is stuck, closed, (failed) let us know what you found out, with these things....

Did the heaters shut down when the thermostat was disconnected? If so, the aforementioned short circuit in the control leg is probable.

Back