Wall help

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cricket12

Reaction score
Purchased home with wallpapered kitchen. Had interior of the house painted and wanted rid of the paper. The painter said his partner could trim any lose areas, spackle all areas including seams, kiltz and paint. Once the project completed I was so shocked to see lots of areas where spackle had not been completed sanded resulting in large irregular patches all over the wall. Seams half spackled and visible. The wall is a disgrace. I told the painter the wall was a mess and going to have to be repaired. He didn't volunteer to repair and even if he had I don't think I would want him to try to fix the mess. His work tells me he didn't know what he was doing in the first place.

I have no clue who I would need to contact to try to get these walls fixed? Do I contact another painter who says they are skilled in wallpaper , a dry wall person, IDK where to start. Also does anyone have any suggestions what I might want to have done to this wall? I spoke to a person who is retired and no longer does this kind of work. He stated the wall is 'iffy' and the wallpaper with spackle, kiltz and 2 coats of paint is most likely going to be completely removed. I am hoping this isn't the case since as large as the kitchen is and the amount of time and work to remove/sand/paint is going to be a fortune. Any ideas will be so happily received.

Thanks in advance

First off, Welcome to House Repair Talk!

Now, about the wall, I don't understand why the spots can't be feathered out, sanded and primmed. In the past I've fixed some pretty bad spots in walls. It just takes time and effort.

Removing wall paper is not the hardest of undertakings. A spray bottle, water and a scrapper is all that's needed. Patch the scrapes and paint. I've never been a fan of painting over wallpaper.

Who would be my best option for repair? Wallboard person or another painter. So afraid I will end up in a bigger mess if I don't get the right person

Call a couple and get estimates, don't pay them til they are finished and you are completely satisfied. Either trade should be able to fix your situation.

Back