Wall Plan

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LDO

Reaction score
I am rebuilding an exterior wall due to poor roof flashing which has now been fixed.

My plan was to use pressure treated plywood sheets on the lower part of the wall and osb or regular plywood for the upper part of the wall.

House wrap or black roofing paper as a barrier then re-install the vinyl siding.

Good plan?
Bad plan?

What would you do?

I live in Mississippi.

Thanks.

all but one are in good shape. Does the bad one need to be removed or can i just install new ones on either side?

Can I get away with just OSB or regular plywood if the pressure treated plywood is out of my budget?

I am leaning towards using the house wrap from lowes (and tape) over the black roofing paper..

You want to remove as much rot as you can. In the past we have had studs just rotted on the outside edge so we ran a saw down ripping them in half which saves the drywall on the inside. Any rot or discoloured wood should be treated. Pick up a quart of (end cut treatment) they sell for treated lumber. House wrap and tape is the way to go. If you have treated or replaced all the rot, regular sheeting is all you need.

thank you sir.

I was a little intimidated of doing this kind of job but after a few estimates, I am motivated to do it myself and I want to do it right!

Last edited:
Post some photos, do you have enough paper to tape to.
Sometimes people don't ask enough questions and get lead astray. There are no dumb questions.

I am still removing some siding but I will snap some pics this weekend. I appreciate all the advice.

Normally, I'm a 'car guy' but I can use tools and have some basic knowledge.

Latest posts

Back