Wall repair after tearing off tile

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dborns

Reaction score
We have a project goIng on after replacing our countertops in the kitchen. The old tops had 4” tile backsplash that I’m in the process of removing. It tore the heck out of the wall, so I’m going to remove all the damaged drywall and replace it with new. I’ve run into an issue with a 4’x6’ area behind the stove. I noticed the counter installer didn’t get the angle right and there’s about a 1/2” gap between the counter and wall, (see attached pic). The new herringbone tile isn’t going to cover that, so there will still be a gap.
I have two ideas, but am asking for advice if this will work.
One is to see how much damage I do to the drywall when I remove the tiles. If it’s not bad, then I just overlay the damage with a new sheet of 1/2” drywall.
The other is to completely remove the old drywall, and go back with a new sheet of 3/4”.
Both would solve the issue with the gap, but, then the edge of the new drywall wouldn’t be flush with the old stuff and there would be a gap there. I attached a pic using a piece of wood to show what I’m trying to explain.
Could that drywall issue be solved with tape and mud? If I cut the edge of the new drywall at an angle, it may come out pretty close to flush anyway.
Also, it’s being completely covered with new tile, so it doesn’t need to be perfect.FC6880BD-52AC-4C5A-8B68-EF11BCFCCA64.jpegC1B236B2-B5DB-48D1-AABA-4DF09000D705.jpeg

Attachments

• 7210D67C-6935-4FA8-BBE7-B68E7D956E76.jpeg
    7210D67C-6935-4FA8-BBE7-B68E7D956E76.jpeg
    46.4 KB · Views: 10
I'm afraid my reply is probably coming after you finished your project. Mud and tape can make a pretty strong surface. It works wonders around junction boxes when the hole is too big for the box. I don't see why it wouldn't work in your application. Especially if the tile will cover it once it's completed. (Even if the tile didn't cover it)

Back