Wallpaper removal from old plaster walls in living room

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ANEGATIVE

Reaction score
thought id share our work in progress, it had green and white wallpaper on it and we used a stanley steamer to remove it. worked great. ton of wallpaper that needs removing in many other rooms.... a.d.d is kicking in now that this room is wallpaper removed... ceilings are all split too with cracks bad...essentially needs lighting ran as there's no ceiling light, needs upgrades to electrical as its old 100 amp with knob and tube around.... they put green carpet over old hardwood... not sure how good it will be widespread under.... would you start taking down wallpaper in the next room or would you plastic up the room to start sanding the walls next? Take our ceiling instead? Whole house needs help but took so many years just to do the few things so far lol

20221026_140412.jpg

In our kitchen.... we used a scraper to scrap off any loose wallpaper so it's flat, and then use sand paper to hit the wall in any place that did not feel smooth to the touch....

After that I rolled on some of that synthetic primer stuff (synthetic, not water based cause synthetic is supposed to not allow the glue on existing wall paper to ever come loose)

After that we sprayed on some texture like they use in most modern homes these days... and painted using a spray gun, although after texture rolling would work too.

It's turned out great and looks just like textured dry wall you'd see in a new home and the best part was we did not have to spend a lot of time removing the old wall paper.

Welcome to posting.

I have always removed all the old paper and then did whatever work I could or needed to do in the walls and ceilings. Then repaired any damage I caused opening the walls and then repair all the cracks and nail holes before deciding on the wall and ceiling finish. Sometimes I have done ceiling rewiring and then just recovered the whole ceiling with .5 drywall as it was easier. The trouble with adding drywall to the walls is all the trim and outlets and switches you have to deal with. Looks like what you have is plaster over lath is that correct?

Back