Walls do not meet ceiling. Temp solution?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

melissaallen

Reaction score
I'm moving to a loft in two weeks. The walls aren't extended fully up to the ceiling. There is about a twelve inch gap.. My room is right next to my roommate so we will be able to hear every move, breath, and see all light.

We want to build a temporary extension that can be easily removed when the lease terminates.

Any ideas? I'm a rookie when it comes to home renos, so please go easy on me.

:help:

Just build a wall about 11 inches high and set it up on top. Add a trim molding to the bottom of it and a molding across the top snuged up to the ceiling. Welcome to the site.

In addition to the wall, a white noise generator will mask the noises of 'every move, breath'. Soundproofing walls is not so easy.

It's the rocking and rolling that she does not want to hear!:D:D:cool:

Maybe she does want to hear it, as it wasn't on the list of things she doesn't care for. Neither was snoring.

Seriously, though, building a temporary wall can certainly be done, but keep in mind that it will be heavy and bulky to put into position on top of the existing wall if framed with conventional 2 x 4 stock. Building it in shorter sections than the total length needed, about 4' long each, would make them more manageable. A much lighter configuration could be made using a single frame of just 2 x 2s, with a layer of 1-1/2" rigid foam glued to each exterior face (textured/painted to suit). The foam would also cut down on noise transmission.

Latest posts

Back