Want to redesign fireplace. Possible?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SavvyCat

Reaction score
I have an ugly distressed brick floor to ceiling woodburning fireplace, about six feet wide, eight feet to the ceiling. Classic 1980s. The fireplace is really a firebox with glass doors and a blower, so I'm pretty sure it's self-contained in the chimney (the manual I have for it seems to support this).

The foundation repair I had a few years ago cracked the brick facade just above the lintel. and I would like to have the whole top part taken off and reclaim the wall space. A little chunk of mortar came loose by the wall, and peeking behind it with a flashlight it looks like the brick is all installed on a metal mesh backing. It looks like it would only need some kind of heat resistant barrier ahead of drywall once you demo out the brick. The rest of the brick I would like to reface with glass tile.

Does anyone have any experience with this? I want to hear from a few experienced people about the level of difficulty before I have people come in and give estimates. Don't want to be taken advantage of.

Thanks!

Last edited:
The "metal mesh backing" part makes me think you don't have real brick, but rather thin, brick-looking faux brick that are glued on. Whichever it is, it shouldn't present too much of a problem for removal and then replacement with either wall board or your tile work.

Unless you have overly-aggressive trades people where you live, I can't imagine "being taken advantage of" when getting estimates. It usually works like this: they look, they measure, they write down their number, they hand it to you, and then they leave. If they want $$$ for giving an estimate, send them on their way.

Back