Warped sliding door

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

anna1234

Reaction score
Hi, I have a vinyl sliding door that has bowed out and created a large gap on the vertical edge. I'm wondering if there is any way to fix it? Yes, I'm aware that it probably is just time to replace the door, but while I build a budget for that, is there any way to temporarily fix this gap so my heating bill takes less of a hit? Thanks for the help!Sliding door 2.jpgSliding door.jpg

Hi and welcome to the forum.

Do you have any idea how it became bowed that much? It is very strange IMO.

It is really the wrong time of year to be dealing with the repair or replacement. I will suggest get it closed as tight as you can and tape it up with some white duct tape and wait for spring. This will only work if it is not a main door you use in winter.

It might be time in the spring for a new door.

How old is the door?

Hi and welcome to the forum.

Do you have any idea how it became bowed that much? It is very strange IMO.

It is really the wrong time of year to be dealing with the repair or replacement. I will suggest get it closed as tight as you can and tape it up with some white duct tape and wait for spring. This will only work if it is not a main door you use in winter.

It might be time in the spring for a new door.

How old is the door?
I'm not sure how it happened. I just bought the place in December, so I'm not sure how old the door is either. The door itself doesn't appear to be compressed by the frame around the door, and the house was built in 77, so I can't imagine it just randomly decided to do a lot of settling in the last couple years. Unfortunately, it is the door I use to let my dog out to the backyard. But it may be worth taking her out through the garage and just sealing up the door, as it is a pretty significant gap.

I'm not sure how it happened. I just bought the place in December, so I'm not sure how old the door is either. The door itself doesn't appear to be compressed by the frame around the door, and the house was built in 77, so I can't imagine it just randomly decided to do a lot of settling in the last couple years. Unfortunately, it is the door I use to let my dog out to the backyard. But it may be worth taking her out through the garage and just sealing up the door, as it is a pretty significant gap.
Yep now is not the month to be putting a new door in, unless you really have to.

A gap like that will really do a number on your heating cost as well. If it's not a big deal take the dog out the other way till it gets warmer.

Is there anyway you can fashion a length of poly foam to fill the gap in the interim?

Does the door fit into the upper track OK?

Door seal is intended to screw onto a wood door jamb and but against the closed door but it should work as a short term fix since you dont mind damaging the door face:
https://www.homedepot.com/p/M-D-Bui...or-Seal-Top-and-Sides-5-Piece-43304/203584938
I never responded to this, but this is what I ended up doing. I found stick on weather stripping and it worked like a charm! It stays put very well and does a fantastic job of sealing out the cold without impeding the door mobility at all. Thanks!

Back