Washer Drain Question?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

prh44

Reaction score
I am installing a washer in my basement. My invert on the main sanatary is 3'-7-7/8". I have attached a drawing of the capped line I would like to use. It is 1.5" PVC. drain.

1. Can a washer pump this high?
2. Would this install meet code?
3. Is this to close the main drian in respect to elevation?
4. If this will not work can I use a discharge pump?

WASHER.jpg

Thanks

The length of the standpipe is too short and the connection to the main drain does not pass code anywhere that I know of.

If the drain connects on the horizontal pipe it must be a minimum of 10 pipe diameters from the transition from vertical to horizontal and you need to run a vent for the drain to protect the trap seal.

You will probably have water shoot out from the standpipe when a toilet is flushed on the floor above using that low heel inlet 90 elbow.

You will probably have water shoot out from the standpipe when a toilet is flushed on the floor above using that low heel inlet 90 elbow.

I was concerned about that. What if I place a tap in the mani vertical stand pipe it is vented. Is there a minimum i need to be above the 90? I can cap the tap

You may do that but the line will require a vent. The vent has to go through the roof or, tie into an existing vent on the floor above. A vent will not have waste water flowing in it. There are also specific requirements as to how the vent ties in relating to distance above the flood rim of the fixtures served by that vent.

The standpipe length should be 18 - 30" in length under most codes and the pipe and trap used should be 2" pipe.

Now how that adds up in height and whether or not your washer can drain that high I don't know. If it doesn't you will have to use a laundry tray pump like a Liberty 405.

I can place the drain up to 8' above the base according to the specifications of the washer. I can install a vent up to the attic and tie into the main vent very easily.

washerrev1.jpg

okay as drawn and with a vent added between the trap and the sani-tee you are all set.

Latest posts

Back