Washing machine not getting water

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

affan habib

Reaction score
I fixed a leak in my water maun in the crawl space. After that I let the faucets run for few mins to drain any air out. But since then my washing machine is showing error code nf. I got a washing machine technician who unpluged the water hose and told no water coming. He said it is a plumbing issue. All my faucets are working fine and there is no sign of any water leak anywhere. Can you help?

You might have left a valve closed somewhere, between the water meter and the washer.

Or minerals broke loose from your repair, and are clogging up your washing machine supply valves.

Which hose did he take off?
Hot, cold, or both?

It is common for minerals to plug up the little wire mesh filters which are right at the hose connections on the back of the washing machine.

So youbsuggesting minerals from the repair went up to the washing machine supply valve? How can a technician check this has happebed? Where is the washing machine supply valve? At the machine? Thanks.

Minerals causing a clogged valve are one possibility.

The supply valves are right at the washing machine, the hoses attach to them.

Did you do your own repair of the water line in your crawl space?
What exactly did you have to repair?
Copper, galvanized, cpvc, or pex water line?

If you did not do the repair yourself, then call the plumber who did, and tell them they caused a problem with the washer.

This whole thing might be too much for you, I am thinking you need a pro plumber.

The apliance technician took the hose from the water connection behind the washing machine. No water was coming from there. Then he told me it was avplumbing isdue.

Which washer hose, hot or cold, or both?

What kind of plumbing pipes, what material, needed repairing?

You are not answering my direct questions.

Meanwhile, you can connect a garden hose to the water connection, which is the supply valve.
Put the other end into a bucket or somewhere it can drain, out the door or in a sink, whatever.

Fully close and fully open the supply valve a few dozen times, this might knock minerals or chunks loose that are stuck in the valve.

Or look for a valve that someone left closed in the crawl space.
Maybe they were soldering and closed some valves to keep water from trickling down there.

Otherwise call a pro plumber.

The tech took both out. He said no cold water (I was not there, he just told my wife). The plumbing pipe was the water main, pvc I think. It has a T joint (the one that was going to the sprinkler valve). That joint was leaking. The guy cutbtgat joint and put different pipe and connections. That guy also put a valve as he said a valve there helps.. I dont think there is any other valve in the crawl space orher than one for sprinkler.

If there us no wayer coming out of the water connection for the washing machine, will the technique do any good? Or may be I did not fully understand whatvyou suggested.

Thanks man for your continued help.

Even if cold supply valve has no output, closing and opening it many times might allow chunks of junk to come out of there.

There could still be a valve shut off somewhere else in the house.

You should call the guy who fixed the leak.

If he is honorable, he will come back to investigate, I know I would.

Thanks. I just let the guy know. He said he would stop by on Saturday though initiallt he tried to say he had not done anything with the washing machine. I will try the supply valve thing. So all I need to do is open and close the valve (without removing the washer hose from the supply) several times, right?

Wrong.

Read my procedure from earlier, it was very simple and clear.

And the plumber might have closed a valve elsewhere in the crawl space or someplace, which has cut off the cold supply to the washing machine.

Ok, I will try. Do houses have separate valve or line for washing machine? I did not seem to see any other valve in the crawl space. Thanks again.

It worked. I think thete was some stuff stucking atbthe valve. Thanks for your help.

I had a bad water problem. Dont know how it happened, but the washing machine was making loud noise during spinning for few seconds. After that the cycle apparently completed. After couple of loads, it shows the nf code. I turned the power button off and restarted the load. The next thing I noticed water dripping thru the ketchen ceiling (my washer is on the 2nd floor). There was water on the tray on which the washer stands. Water was on the area sorrounding the washer. I contacted a contractor to fix the water damage. They removed the washer and put fans, dehumidifier to dry the area. Now I see a pipe coming thru a small opening of the floor. The pipe is kind of loose. But I know my washer drain hose pipe drains into a hole next to the water valve. The tray also has a small opening. I am confused about the pipe that comes thru the floor. My appliance technician will come next week. However, I want to have some idea what might have caused the water issue. I am attaching the picture of the pipe coming thru the floor as well as the drain outlet next to the water valve. Any thought?

Attachments

• 20200307_095912.jpg
    20200307_095912.jpg
    50.2 KB · Views: 3
  • 20200307_095855.jpg
    20200307_095855.jpg
    27.5 KB · Views: 4
The pipe coming out of the floor looks like an electrical conduit, it looks like it was never attached to anything.
There is no junction box there, and no wires showing.

EDIT Looking closer, it looks like a pvc pipe, which should have been connected to a drain pan.

Meanwhile, your washing machine should be sitting in a drain pan which will catch water that leaks or overflows.
And then the pan has a drain line that carries water away from the pan.

This will prevent most washing machine water damage like you just experienced.

Last edited:
My washing machine is on a deain pan. The pan has a opening at one corner. But I do not see any connection to that opening and the pipe that comes thru the floor. So, essentially if there is water on the drain pan, it can go thru that opening and on the floor or thru the hole in the floor.

Is it typucal to have a electrical conduit there?

Looking closer at your blurry picture, that pipe in the floor looks like pvc, so it is probably a small drain pipe that should have been connected to the hole in your drain pan.

I think whatI have matched with your diagram. I am attaching another better pic. I just a cover on top to prevent anything going into the pipe. My question is how this pipe fits to the opening of the drain pan tightly? Also, if water from the drain pan goes there, where does the water goes to?The top of the pipe is completely open. Can that cause any problem?

Attachments

• 20200307_155635.jpg
    20200307_155635.jpg
    35.4 KB · Views: 5
I think whatI have matched with your diagram. I am attaching another better pic. I just a cover on top to prevent anything going into the pipe. My question is how this pipe fits to the opening of the drain pan tightly? Also, if water from the drain pan goes there, where does the water goes to?The top of the pipe is completely open. Can that cause any problem?
Also, that pipe seems to not very stable. It moves easily?
Looking closer at your blurry picture, that pipe in the floor looks like pvc, so it is probably a small drain pipe that should have been connected to the hole in your drain pan.

Rhanks. I just sent a better pic. The pipe looks pretty unstable as I can move it easily. Is it normal?

I can’t see your pipe with a cover over it, so how is that a better picture?

Meanwhile, the pipe goes to your house drain system.

You should have a plumber connect it to your drain pan.

Send him pics of your laundry room and of your drain pan and where the hole is in the pan.
He might need a new pan if the existing hole in the pan is in the wrong place.

The pipe will be stable once it is connected.

Back