Washing machine not getting water

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I can’t see your pipe with a cover over it, so how is that a better picture?

Meanwhile, the pipe goes to your house drain system.

You should have a plumber connect it to your drain pan.

Send him pics of your laundry room and of your drain pan and where the hole is in the pan.
He might need a new pan if the existing hole in the pan is in the wrong place.

The pipe will be stable once it is connected.
Thanks. Attaching few more pics after taking the cover. Also sending a pic of the drain pan. Does the pipe simply attach to the drain pipe hole? What is the source of water on the drain pipe? I thought the drain hose (the pipe that goes from the back of the washer to the drain outlet next to the water valve) drain the water. Thanks a lot. Really appreciate.

Attachments

• 20200307_161219.jpg
    20200307_161219.jpg
    45.8 KB · Views: 2
  • 20200307_162053.jpg
    20200307_162053.jpg
    56.2 KB · Views: 2
  • 20200307_161203.jpg
    20200307_161203.jpg
    31.4 KB · Views: 2
Thanks. I am sending few pics after taking the cover. Also sending a pic of the drain tray showing the opening. How is the pipe attached tightly with the drain tray? Any attachment needed? Also, what is the source of water on the drain pipe? I thought, the water gets drained thru the drain hose pipe from tha back of the washer to the drain next to the water valve? Thanks a lot.

Attachments

• 20200307_162053.jpg
    20200307_162053.jpg
    56.2 KB · Views: 3
  • 20200307_161219.jpg
    20200307_161219.jpg
    45.8 KB · Views: 3
  • 20200307_161214.jpg
    20200307_161214.jpg
    22.2 KB · Views: 3
I can confirm now that your pipe is a pvc drain pipe.

The drain hose coming out of the washer, which goes into the drain box in the wall, is there to drain the water from wash and rinse cycles.

The drain pan and the little drain pipe in the floor are for emergencies, to catch and drain away any water that overflows from the washer, as yours apparently just did, which ruined your ceiling below.

Depending on the layout of your laundry room, the drain pan might just have a hole in the bottom, and the pan is placed over and sealed onto the pipe.

Or a short drain pipe might be plumbed into a hole in the side of the pan, and that short drain pipe would be connected to the drain pipe in the floor.

A good plumber will know how it all needs to be set up.

Meanwhile, your current metal pan looks like it is rusting out, so I would ask for a new pan.
Or maybe some kind of coating or rubber liner could be applied, to make it safe to use again.

This is all the info you need, call several plumbers for estimates, good luck.

Thank you so much. Now I have a better idea. Few more questiobs,
1. I see Lowes has both metalic or 'plastic' drain pan. Which one is better?
2. You said, some rubber liner or coating can be used on the curren pan. What is that called so I can check at lowes or home depot?
3. Bigger question is why my washer had such a large amount of overflows? And why did this emmergency drain not work? Will a plumber be able to check if the drain pipe thru the floor is is working?

Once again, thank you so much.

I can confirm now that your pipe is a pvc drain pipe.

The drain hose coming out of the washer, which goes into the drain box in the wall, is there to drain the water from wash and rinse cycles.

The drain pan and the little drain pipe in the floor are for emergencies, to catch and drain away any water that overflows from the washer, as yours apparently just did, which ruined your ceiling below.

Depending on the layout of your laundry room, the drain pan might just have a hole in the bottom, and the pan is placed over and sealed onto the pipe.

Or a short drain pipe might be plumbed into a hole in the side of the pan, and that short drain pipe would be connected to the drain pipe in the floor.

A good plumber will know how it all needs to be set up.

Meanwhile, your current metal pan looks like it is rusting out, so I would ask for a new pan.
Or maybe some kind of coating or rubber liner could be applied, to make it safe to use again.

This is all the info you need, call several plumbers for estimates, good luck.
Is this somerhing I can use as coating on my current pan?
https://www.lowes.com/pd/Rust-Oleum...5bwxMUcrC4j0RcfEcdjVzd-9q9DQbeKoaAmtrEALw_wcB

No, forget that.

Ask your plumber for his ideas, otherwise just buy a new pan.
The plumber should choose the new pan, he will know what will work properly with your drain pipe and laundry room configuration.

A new pan is much cheaper than fixing flood damage again.

Drywall, paint, maybe mold remediation, ruined flooring, electrical problems, all kind of expensive damage from water leaks.

Now stop wasting time on here and call some plumbers for estimates.

Last edited:
Back