Water Collection Filters

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
T

TxBuilder

I bought a 500 gallon water storage tank and now I am looking for filter ideas.

All the gutters from the house will drain into the tank so I need some filter/screen to get all the debris from going into the tank.

All the water will be used for is to water the grass and plants so it does not have to be super clean just clean of large debris.

Hey TX:
I wouldn't worry too much about screening the water; just set the pump up on a concrete block and leave the trash at the bottom. The old timers used to use a diverter valve on the gutter just before it came into the cistern. Of course, they were drinking the water so they wanted to let the trash and bird droppings flush out of the gutter system before they ran the rest of the rain into the cistern.
I would suggest you drill a water well to use for watering the lawn and such but Texans have a problem with drilling water wells; they keep getting that black stuff.
Glenn

Sometimes folks put screens on rainbarrels not for filtering, but for skeeter control...don't know if you'll have exposed sitting water in yours though.

Drilling would cost too much and I'm not sure I can. Underneath me is an aquafer that is very protected.

I've already setup all the drains on my house to empty into tank.

I need some filter for large debris else it will clog up the output valve if it sinks to the bottom.

The tanks are coming this weekend so I'm sure a trip to Tractor Supply/Lowes will net something. I will report back what I find.

It seems to me that a tank like a grease trap would catch most of the sandy sediment and the floating debris. A screen on the output side of the tank would filter out the leaves and the sediment would settle to the bottom.

just a thought..

Back