water damaged ceiling

Discussion in 'Painting Forum' started by angusmdmclean, Sep 2, 2013.

1. Sep 2, 2013 #1

angusmdmclean

angusmdmclean

angusmdmclean

I had a small water leak in my bathroom upstairs: downstairs I have a water mark on the ceiling (see photo taken wiht flash). It is a textured coating. I have removed a zone from the surface of the ceiling (about the size of a quarter) and I plan to get it color-matched at Home Depot. I plan to use a stain blocking primer on the affected zone. Then I will repaint the zone with the matching flat paint.

Any comments,

Angus

DSC00243.JPG

2. Sep 3, 2013 #2

nealtw

nealtw

nealtw

Contractor retired

Were you able to open it up somewhere to allow this to dry out, if it is drywall and stayed wet for any amount of time you could have a mold problem.

3. Sep 3, 2013 #3

angusmdmclean

angusmdmclean

angusmdmclean

No: I did not open up the dry wall. I did not think this was necessary. The stain resulted from one water leak incident in a valve in the bathroom. It was not a leak that was providing water to the drywall below over a period of time. I was working in the bathroom when the leak started. It was caused when I tightened up on the valve from the wall that feeds the toilet. The valve came off of the tubing and leaked 2 gallons of water onto the tiled floor before I could shut the water off. Most of the water flowed down the vertical dry corner below (just to the right of the bell in above photo) onto the linoleum floor. I mopped it up. It took about 2 weeks for the stain to be visible on the ceiling.. The stained drywall is now dry and very solid. I think it will be OK!

Angus

4. Sep 4, 2013 #4

nealtw

nealtw

nealtw

Contractor retired

You are likly right but incase there are spores there, I would start with a coat of oil base primer so as to cover the spores not feed them.

5. Sep 4, 2013 #5

angusmdmclean

angusmdmclean

angusmdmclean

Thank you for your insight: The surface to be coated was dry {I left it~ 3-4 weeks} and vey solid. I used the primer and stain blocker I had in my house called "Gripper" from Glidden. It is water based, but contaons a moldicide {I checked on that with Glidden}. They felt it would be alright. They recommended another coat.

Angus

nealtw likes this.