Water draining / window wells

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CR1994

Reaction score
After getting rain, I get water in my basement beneath my window well where the concrete floor meets the cinder block.
There is no window well drain and a crack beneath the window well implies some sort of undesired issues have occurred since the home was built in 1960s. I dug up all the gravel and dirt in the window well to test drainage and confirm where the water was coming from. As you’ll see in the photo, the window well is flush with the patio that has settled over the years and the pitch is now toward the house, specifically toward that window well.
Any thoughts on how this can be alleviated? I want to get a new patio with a pitch on it that drains water away from home rather than in the window well, but if this will not remedy, I would like to address the issue first. TIA98FB6E0F-03AA-4C42-917E-20A285D25212.jpeg

Attachments

• B7558AE6-02CA-4E01-863A-1D3E56A0B1C2.jpeg
    B7558AE6-02CA-4E01-863A-1D3E56A0B1C2.jpeg
    106.5 KB · Views: 12
Please step away about 20' and take a panoramic photo.

Thanks. It puts the OP in perspective, to the surrounding grade level, in relation to the window well curbs.

Dear CR: Thanks for the additional photo, which helps to explain the problem and potential solutions.
  1. First, it appears that your home does not have gutters which would direct water away from your home. Concrete block basements are particularly vulnerable to leaks, with all of the joints. So Step 1: install gutters, and run the downspouts into pipes that run away from your home or into dry wells >6' away from your home. (We had a similar problem with a previous home.) If you have trees nearby, it would be smart to install screens over the gutters - to avoid clogged gutters, the cost/time of annual cleanouts, etc. Home Depot carries the best solution: stainless steel micro-screen gutter guards, which will block pine needs, leaves and even the grit from asphalt shingles. Plus they are inexpensive and easy to install. They will also survive New England winters with ice and snow. See 'Gutter Glove' at Home Depot: https://www.homedepot.com/b/Gutter-Guard-by-Gutterglove/N-5yc1vZg5s/Ntk-EnrichedProductInfo/Ntt-gutter+guard?Ntx=mode+matchpartialmax&NCNI-5&visNavSearch=gutter%20guard

2. Second, dig a 1' wide trench along this side of your home - below the level of the window wells - and install a perforated drainage pipe wrapped in landscape fabric (to block dirt etc from clogging the pipe), and run this pipe to a large dry well, >6' away from your home. The pipe needs to slope down 1/4" per foot for proper drainage. Home Depot sells pre-packaged drain pipe; see: https://www.homedepot.com/p/NDS-4-in-x-10-ft-EZ-Drain-Prefabricated-French-Drain-with-Pipe-EZ-0802F/202259347 Note: I recommend extending this trench and pipe around the entire perimeter of your home - with connections to multiple dry wells.

3. Third, water leaks along the bottom of a concrete block wall, on the seam next to a concrete floor pad, may indicate that there is an underground flow of water next to your home. We ran into this problem with one of our homes. Fortunately, there is a DIY solution: https://www.foundationarmor.com/wet-concrete-crack-repair-kit You will need to buy a high-quality hammer drill, to drill multiple 1/2" holes along the seam between your concrete block wall and the concrete basement pad. The single-component polyurethane foam expands and cures when it reacts with water, so this is an ideal solution for basement water leaks.
I hope this is helpful. Please post another question if you have any questions.

Back