Water dripping down wall in shower only when taking shower

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Billbill84

Reaction score
so I've noticed in my new house that when I take a shower, I get some tears in one spot of my drywall above the shower liner. I put some more insulation in the attic above the shower which helped a little but I still see the tearing of water in same spot! The shower is on an exterior portion of the house and the long eaves, apx 10' long, are visible in the attic and NOT insulated! Are eaves supposed to be insulated? I'm thinking a draft of cold air is coming through directly over the area of the shower and that's why I'm getting the water tears. What can I do here?

You don't insulate past the wall structure in the attic. The soffits should be clear of insulation to allow air flow through the soffit vents up to the gable or ridge vent to keep your roof cold in winter.

If you could post some pictures of the area in question it might be helpful. Also, do you run the bathroom exhaust fan while showering and for 5-10 minutes afterward to pull the humid air out of the room? If so, is you exhaust fan pulling air? Turn it on and hold a piece to tissue up to it. It should suck the tissue to the grill and hold it there. If the vent is partially or fully blocked you won't be getting any benefit from the fan.

You don't insulate past the wall structure in the attic. The soffits should be clear of insulation to allow air flow through the soffit vents up to the gable or ridge vent to keep your roof cold in winter.

If you could post some pictures of the area in question it might be helpful. Also, do you run the bathroom exhaust fan while showering and for 5-10 minutes afterward to pull the humid air out of the room? If so, is you exhaust fan pulling air? Turn it on and hold a piece to tissue up to it. It should suck the tissue to the grill and hold it there. If the vent is partially or fully blocked you won't be getting any benefit from the fan.
Ok I'll check it out thx!

You can also check to make sure tour exhaust vent is vented through the roof, insulated, and if pipes with flex duct check to see that it is not ripped.

I’ve wired my exhaust fan to be controlled by both a timer to run the fan for 4 hours each day and also a humidistat so that if the humidity rises above 80% then the exhaust fan turns on regardless of what the time clock says to do. The humidistat is mounted high on the wall so it triggers fast and is out of reach from people playing with it.

Back