Water dripping on upstair showers after shutting water main

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

affan habib

Reaction score
I had to shut the water main as my hot water heater was leaking today and I had difficulty finding the water valve on the water heater. After I turned the water main valve on (I am still out of hot water as I need to replace it. I shut the water valve on the water heater) water is only dripping on the showers of the two upstairs bathroom. Water is running normally at all other faucets/toilets. Any idea what happened and what could be the remedy?

Also. I have a another question on the water heater. My heater has only one water valve (on one of the two pipes coming from the top). I turned this off. Is this the incoming or outgoing water valve? If this is incoming valve, then why there is no hot water coming? If this is the hot water valve, should there be one for the cols incomingvwater? My heater is still leaking.

Thanks.

When testing the showers, did you set them to the coldest option available? With the hot water heater turned off, you won't get any shower water when set to hot and you might get very little when set to warm depending on the mixing ratio.

For the water heater valve question, most codes specify that the valve should be installed on the cold water intake to the hot water heater. If the tank was full and the leak is slow, you might still see a leak even after turning the water off. You should have a drain at the bottom of the heater that you can hook a garden hose up to and fully drain the tank.

Is this the incoming or outgoing water valve?
Run some hot water. The cold WH pipe will quickly get cold and vice versa.
I labeled several pipes with an H or C and a direction arrow.

If water still passes thru a closed globe valve the washer has hardened and needs replacing. If it's a ball valve you need a new valve.

Back