water heater reccomendation

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum' started by LMHmedchem, Aug 8, 2018.

Help Support House Repair Talk by donating using the link above.
  1. Aug 8, 2018 #1

LMHmedchem

LMHmedchem

LMHmedchem

Hello,

My water heater is now 10 years old and it is time to replace it before it floods out the basement.

I have been thinking of a tank-less like a Rinnai, but I am not sure how many gallons per minute I need. These are also expensive, so I would also like to know if there are other brands of good quality that might cost less.

If I go with a traditional water heater with a tank, can someone recommend a quality brand that is a good value?

LMHmedchem

2. Aug 9, 2018 at 2:46 PM #2

Sparky617

Sparky617

Sparky617

Can you go with a gas tankless? I would not consider an electric tankless. How hard is your water? If you have really hard water your tankless would require an annual descaling, but it isn't terribly hard to do from what I've heard from friends that have them. New tank type water heaters have gotten bigger to satisfy additional insulation requirements by the federal government. This can cause issues when they are located in a small utility closet. The tankless water heaters are supposed to have a longer life than tanks so it may be a wash on cost. As to gallons per minute, how many people shower at the same time in your house? If only one, a standard home unit should provide plenty of uninterrupted hot water. You may not want to run a load of hot laundry wash and the dishwasher just before you hop into the shower though. Low flow shower heads don't use that many gpm.