Water heater

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kmg8810

Reaction score
Hi, just looking for a bit of advice. I'm replacing my water heater and the new one is a couple of inches too tall for the vent pipe to line up perfectly. The bottom section of vent is 12 inches long and I can't find a 10 inch long type b pipe. What would be the best course of action in this situation? I've included pictures of the old and new set up and of the vent that is too long. Thanks for any help!

Attachments

• IMG_20201008_092630086.jpg
    IMG_20201008_092630086.jpg
    40.7 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_20200911_124621670.jpg
    IMG_20200911_124621670.jpg
    36.4 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_20201002_172742262.jpg
    IMG_20201002_172742262.jpg
    35.9 KB · Views: 18
Welcome.
If the new appliance sets on the same raised pedestal/platform as the previous, that would be the point of adjustment, you could look on line for a 10" ameri-vent, which in turn may be available from a local plumbing supply house.

I just did a search for 10" amerivent, and that is not available, so the pedestal/platform is the easiest option, unless there are more joined sections, which can be altered.

Last edited:
Just cut the bottom and insert the draft hood into the cut end.
You can buy a hand crimper to crease the draft hood to create a narrower male end, if needed.
Might not be to code, others can weigh in.

You can also get adjustable length type b four inch vent sections.
Once again, might not be code.

Remove the lower section of the double wall pipe from your stack. Go buy a 24" length of single wall flue pipe in the correct size. Put the draft hood on the water heater and cut the new pipe to fit. Unless you have some unusual code situation you do not need double wall pipe all the way to the top of the water heater.

He has cpvc pipes, and once the draft hood goes on there, the flue will be right next to it, at least on the hot water outlet side.

Yes and that is not to code either. Minimum 12" away from heater with metal pipe, at least where I work. But it won't melt or distort with water in it. That CPVC will eventually crack that close to heater.

Back